need HDTV help

destructionfever

I finally have the chance to buy an HDTV but I'm a newb in this area. Just was wondering if you guys could help me in my research. I would prefer a 32-34 inch HDTV. I would like your opinion on which are the top brands. I don't really care that it's cable card ready but it has to have a built in tuner. I'm looking to spend at the most 1,000-1,100. I want a reliable well rounded TV. If any of you have any comments or suggestions please post. Thanks all.  ;)

Dude, built in tuners are a waste most Satellite and Cable providers REQUIRE YOU to have there boxes to recieve HI-DEF and regular channels.. HD-BUILT in just means that you can get local channels without a box... Most Providers give you this anyway with Cable/Sattelite, All you need is an hd-ready tv and I'm pretty sure your provider has a compatible box.

Yes, your right I have comcast. So, what do you suggest in that price range? Here are some models I'm interested in. Give me your opinion...even if you think they're all crap(lol). Philips 51" HDTV (51PP9100D),Philips 60" Projection HDTV (60PP9100D),RCA 52" Widescreen HD-Ready Rear-Projection Monitor with DVI-HDCP Input - Black/Silver

Model: D52W23 , and Samsung 30" SlimFit

don't know about comcast but with directv you will have to spend extra to get HD programming...

with a built in tuner you can get all local HD programs for free with an over the air antenna...

are you close enough to your locals to receive a really good signal?

check out this site for a little help in deciding..  http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Hey destruction, my roomate bought that 52" RCA about 1.5 weeks ago from BestBuy for $800.

I gave him some crap for buying RCA since they are notoriously not the best, but the price was right.

I am now happy he got it for the living room, pictures are great.

It is only a monitor and does NOT have HDMI inputs, but none the less, component hook up looks quite nice.

Still need to go buy DVI cable and see how much improvement that will make.

It is optimum at 480p resolution, not 1080i which is a con, but still HD looks pretty damn nice.

Gotta love Discovery High Def - the jungle bush women's low saggers look great in HD LOL.

So I will give the RCA 52" a thumbs up because the price is right, from personal experience.

Thanks for the heads up on the RCA. But how bout that 51 inch philips? What is the Philips HDTV native resolution? Is it 1280x720 or higher? Do you think the Philips is a good buy and lastly does it have component inputs for my 360? Like I said I am a complete HDTV newbie. So, thanks for your help. By the way...how do I get HD resolutions with cable programming? Do I need to buy a component cable for that as well? And will the Philips have the inputs so that I can watch regular TV in HD as well as my games? Thanks again!  ;)

I have Comast Cable and I have Their Dvr service too, They give you the box and the cables along with the remote for ur hdtv.. for an extra 5 bucks a month. not bad.. but ANY HDTV should have Component inputs r/g/b/ and that is how comcast connects the box to your tv.. Though the box also has an DVI, FIREWIREE, USB and HDMI port also, but a component port is supreme for video... and also... And remeber the bigger tv's the more you should sick back from them.. if you go with something over 50in it should be far like in a basement... it will look funny if ur close on a big screen, u will see all of the imperfections so choose wisely to ur room size.

Good deal, now it comes down to these two televisions...What is the better pick overall? The Philips 51" HDTV (51PP9100D) or the Samsung 30" TXR3079WH? I know one is huge and one is small. But my hopes are that the Philips is a decent tv for a good deal and not a piece of crap. If the Philips turns out to be crap I would then go to the Samsung if it were good because of the price range. I just wanted to know if I can have my 360 hooked up to the Philips with the HD component cables at the same time as the component cables are hooked up for HD viewing of television broadcasts. Basically, I want the Philips only if the resolutions are native HD resolutions. Please help me for the love of God I'm an HD newb!!!  :binkybaby: