Cable Settings

Guest SacredCultivator

If I recalled the link about adjusting for duplex setting, you should not adjust your Nic but your router if you are using one.

"This section applies to your PC only if your PC ethernet card is connected directly to the cable modem, and not if you have an intervening device, e.g. a NAT router such as a Linksys or Netgear. If you have an intervening device such as a router, then this section applies to the WAN port of the router."

Guest SacredCultivator

Oh drats... but here is the strange part:

Below is a Log when I am NOT downloading anything,  notice how it says the Duplex Conflict

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 589.94Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 2.97Mb/s

------  Client System Details  ------

OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1

Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.5.0_06

------  Web100 Detailed Analysis  ------

Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.

Link set to Full Duplex mode

No network congestion discovered.

Good network cable(s) found

Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition found:  Host set to Full and Switch set to Half duplexD

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 55.46 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and

There were 18 packets retransmitted, 241 duplicate acks received, and 119 SACK blocks received

The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time

This connection is network limited 99.97% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:

RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON

RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON

RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF

RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF

RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON

Packet size is preserved End-to-End

Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

Server says [216.165.254.132] but Client says [192.168.15.100]

This log below is when I have uTorrent up and downloading:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 529.92Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 1.23Mb/s

Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.

Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 87.0 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and

No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 31.5% of the time

Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

Guest SacredCultivator

My WAN Port is set to Auto. And int he message when it says the Duplex Conflict.. Host = Cable MOdem right? And the 'Switch' is either/both the Router/My Computer(NIC)? So that would mean I have to switch Router/My NIC to FULL?

Guest SacredCultivator

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 626.92Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 3.48Mb/s

Alarm: Duplex mismatch condition found:  Host set to Full and Switch set to Half duplexD

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 44.76 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and

There were 41 packets retransmitted, 298 duplicate acks received, and 178 SACK blocks received

^After switching Router to 10 mb Half

Guest SacredCultivator

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 589.82kB/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 3.26Mb/s

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 44.83 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and

There were 5 packets retransmitted, 287 duplicate acks received, and 101 SACK blocks received

Bah guess not =/

But it did improve my speed:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 3268 Kbps about 3.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 399 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (server1)

Test Time:: Sat Feb 11 2006 00:46:41 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 58X faster than 56K 1MB download in 2.57 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 73.92 % faster than the average for host (altrionet.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-MFJ4YDO21

ntl:home 100/120 (Ambit) duplex setting

The ntl:home 100/120 (Ambit) cable modem duplex setting can be configured by the user, by using the web pages at http://192.168.100.1/, user root password root. By default, the cable modem is configured to auto-negotiate its speed and duplex setting to be the same as your ethernet card. If you manually configure an explicit speed and duplex setting in your ethernet card, you should also configure the same one in the cable modem, thus removing auto-negotiation from both ends of the link. The optimal setting is to manually force both the ethernet card and the cable modem to full-duplex, thus avoiding all ethernet collisions, and avoiding any possibility of an auto-negotiation mistake.

Guest SacredCultivator

THat = useless because ntl:home 100/120 is actually another modem of theirs, not mine as sad as it is... and even with 'root/root' it blanks out and asks me to input my information which is 'user/user' and I can't edit/configure it at all.

Guest SacredCultivator

WIth that note... I can't configure the Modem, and the Site is a piece of Sh*t, their links don't even work so I can't contact them... More or less update the driver if I wanted to, since I can only check the stats on the Modem but can't 'click' anything that will chagne a value.

Guest SacredCultivator

Otay, I am absolutely unsure as to what I was doing last night before I went to sleep, but for some reason I got everything running just fine now =/ No clue what I did or didn't do, but everythign seems a o k nows., Speeds = 3-3.5ish area which seems good

• 1 month later...
Guest SacredCultivator

Havne't been here ina  LONG while but then I guess it is time after noticing some f'ed up thigns with my Cable lately...

Service is still the same... BUt now.. My Speed aren't even NEAR what they should be... Speeds are below 1MB and some key characterisits taht I notice are...

-My Connection gets dropped from time to time, meaning it will be active when I am playing games and then randomly just drop for a few seconds... not like before where I had to click on the Repair Icon to fix it as that doens't do anything... It just comes back by itself.

-Tried power Cycling with no results.

-Tried different speed tests from different places:

---Here and they said below 1MB

---Speakeasy(LA) and said it was around 1-1.5mb

---My Providers Speed test and it is the worse BS ever, starts out at the 1-1.5 range and after each tests it just goes HIGHER and HIGHER(3000's) which just isn't right because as I am doing that I am DOWNLOADING stuff and they arne't going at that speed and while I am DOWNLOADING the tests still say they are at the right speeds

No 'movement' of the devices from before when I got at LEAST above 3MB's...

Another quesiton I have is... for the TCP/IP patch thingy... default = 10.. What should I change it to? As after I formatted my computer I forgot what number I put in and I just set it at 500 =X

Although most speed tests come out and say I can download at around the 100KB and below... when I actually download off Torrents.. I can go to the high 100's but when I download any other file online.. highest is around 60KB

So i do not really know what to do at the moment.. and I do not want to call ISP just yet(Until Spring Break{After this week}) as their wait time is unbeleivable...

If you need further information do ask.

I also chekced my MOdems Page(I exchanged it for a new one, but they gave me the same model... arge)

And I thought this was interesting:

First Time  Last Time  Counts  Level  ID  Text

Time Not Established Time Not Established 33 Error (4) 68000403 ToD request sent- No Response received

Time Not Established Time Not Established 6 Critical (3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 82000500 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 82000500 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical (3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Time Not Established Time Not Established 37 Critical (3) 85000100 No UCD's Received - Timeout

Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Time Not Established Time Not Established 37 Critical (3) 85000100 No UCD's Received - Timeout

Time Not Established Time Not Established 35 Critical (3) 85000100 No UCD's Received - Timeout

Time Not Established Time Not Established 482 Critical (3) 84000100 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...

Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical (3) 85000100 No UCD's Received - Timeout

Time Not Established Time Not Established 35 Critical (3) 85000100 No UCD's Received - Timeout

Time Not Established Time Not Established 46 Critical (3) 84000200 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...

Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical (3) 85000100 No UCD's Received - Timeout

Notice that SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q... occurs sooo many times ....

Guest SacredCultivator

Added note:

I decided to just take off ALL tweaks made by TCP/IP Optimizer + CableNut and just put back on Windows Default and now this is my speed test:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 2151 Kbps about 2.15 Mbps (tested with 3151 kB)

Download Speed is:: 263 kB/s

Tested From:: http://theamericanforce.com

Test Time:: 2006/04/10 - 12:43am

Bottom Line:: 38X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.89 sec

Tested from a 3151 kB file and took 12 seconds to complete

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060321 Firefox/2.0a1

Diagnosis: Looks Great : -100 % faster than the average for host (championbroadband.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-36CPGIZX2

Barely made half of my paid MB...