Help? Speed erratic

Grambler

Guest thecableguy

Can some one please tell me what these readings from my cable modem mean.

Thanks

[glow=red,2,300]GRAMBLER[/glow]

Where do I begin....hmmm..lets start with you have some serious signal issues.  There are several things that cause this. 

1).  How many cable based devices do you have in your house (that includes TV's, Cable Boxes etc).  Any more than 3 and you will need a house amp which your service provider will provide at minimal cost.

2.) Any splitters feeding your cable modem connection...if so...remove them and install a drop directly to the modem from your groundblock outside...thats the little grey box outside)

3.) You may have issues at the tap or beyond that your cable company will need to address.  Your best bet is to call them and have them run diagnostics, my hunch is their docsis tool will have a nice record of this as well and they will want to get a tech out to fix your problems.  Remember....tech visits do not cost you anything in most cases....yes they are a pain but you are paying for the service and it should work well all of the time.

In either of the cases above you are not getting the performance out of your modem.  Based on the info you submitted this is not a pc or router issue in anyway...your signal sucks...last but not least you could (and I say could...because in 90% of the cases it is not your modem) have a modem problem.  Modems that flap in the manner that yours has could be old or in their previous life could have been in a poor signal area and yes, contrary to many who have spouted...modems will literally power adjust and flap themselves to death.  In a hostile environment the average lifespan of a modem is about two years....if yours is that old consider swapping it out for a newer one.

Best of luck to you!