Wireless slower by comparison?

crawdad62

Hey,

I've been running speed tests here every once in a while and typically get between 4800 to 5500Kbps which is acceptable but not near the 6MB connection I was promised. I've been using a internal Airport card and connecting through a Linksys WRT54G router.

So today I was going through a box of junk and found a huge spool of ethernet cable. I hardwired my connection to the router and now when I run the speed test I get 5500-5950Kbps which is right up where I should be.

So question. Are these wireless connections just slower or is there something I could do to make it better? Different router (Pre-N?) or a setting I could change? Or is this just the nature of the beast?

Thanks.

It is really the nature of the beast.. there is extra overhead because you are going from ethernet to a wireless protocol.. the extra overhead pretty much covers for the loss in spead..  You are not going to see any faster speeds with a pre-n setup.. due to the fact that 802.11G is good up to about 20Mbps.. depending on how far away you are from the router..  If you are getting around 80% of wired speed that is pretty good!