54mbps or 108

hid

hey

i hope some one can just clear this up.

i am looking to buy a wireless router but there are 2 versions of them.

one is 54mbps and the other is 108.

does this mean how fast will the internet connection be on the PC thats connected wirelessly.

and which of these are best for sharing internet and computer data.

also once i buy the wireless router, will i be able to play games e.g. command and conquer over the 2 computer with me bro (OFFLINE) or is this just specifically for online.

1 last thing the router box also states 125g -- what does this mean????? :whaa: :whaa: :whaa:

hey

i hope some one can just clear this up.

i am looking to buy a wireless router but there are 2 versions of them.

one is 54Mbps and the other is 108.

does this mean how fast will the internet connection be on the PC thats connected wirelessly.

and which of these are best for sharing internet and computer data.

also once i buy the wireless router, will i be able to play games e.g. command and conquer over the 2 computer with me bro (OFFLINE) or is this just specifically for online.

1 last thing the router box also states 125g -- what does this mean????? :whaa: :whaa: :whaa:

it does not mean how fast your internet will be, it means how fast, the wireless transmission rate is, eather 54mbps or 108mbps.

they are both fine for sharing internet, and computer data, the 108 will be a little faster if your sharing large files from 1 computer to another computer within the network.

you will be able to to play anygame offline with in the wireless network

when it sayd 125g, thats means it can go at a maximum of 125mbps.

125Mbps 802.11g is a proprietary standard... meaning that you must have all the same equipment to make it work.  So if you by a Linksys router that can run at 125Mbps, i dont know if they offer that, you would also have to buy linksys cards that support it.  If you by from another manufacture then the router will default to 54Mbps. 

One rule that I have lived by is take what the manufacture says the speeds is, because it is a theoretical speed, and take 50-60% of it.  That is the max speed under ideal conditions.

So..

802.11b 11mbps

50% is about 5.5mbps

60% is about 6.6mpbs

802.11g 54mbps

50% is about 27mbps

60% is about 32.5mpbs

802.11g 108mbps (I have not used any proprietary standard equipment)

50% is about 54mbps

60% is about 64mpbs

so if i buy the 54mbps insted of 108mbps will that make no difference with me internet speed but will only affect the data i send and recieve over the 2 computers.

which one would you recomend me. both of the routers are at

You would see no difference in internet speed.. 

If you are transfering files from one computer to another then yes.. there would be a speed difference! 

For 2 computers you will need a router and 2 adaptors.. one for each computer.  Make sure that everything is the same brand!  If you are going to go with the 54g spec then just make sure that you get a 802.11g router and adaptors.  If you go with the 108mbps version then you really need to pay attention to the adaptors the you select! 

You would see no difference in internet speed.. 

If you are transfering files from one computer to another then yes.. there would be a speed difference! 

For 2 computers you will need a router and 2 adaptors.. one for each computer.  Make sure that everything is the same brand!   If you are going to go with the 54g spec then just make sure that you get a 802.11g router and adaptors.  If you go with the 108Mbps version then you really need to pay attention to the adaptors the you select! 

In his situation he only needs one adapter as the other computer will be wired.