windows desktop won't load normally after shutdown

mmpcsnet

I am working at a client's workstation right now where her computer is one of 2 computers that is plugged into a Linksys workgroup switch.  Both of their computers, when both of them were brought up this morning, their display had large icons and I was not allowed to change the resolution settings back to 1280 x 720 and 32 bit color.  (By the way the settings were at 640 x 480 and it was on low 8 bit color).  I did a system restore to get it back to normal but once shutting it down and bringing it back up, it went back to the 640 x 480 resolution.  What do you think could be the possible issue for this?  I have checked for updated antivirus and spyware (I know this is more than likely not the problem) but did it just to make sure.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Stephen

IT/Networking of Brandon, Florida

Note:  Both computers are running Windows XP and the Administrator account is being used.