Hard Disk Folder Gone , But using space

ok i had this one folder where i kept every every thing. kind of 40+ GB of data.

due to some kind of power failure once or something , suddenly the folder has stopped showing it self. yup . it aint there . not hidden or anything . it is just not there. but my hard disk is still using up that much of space that it used to take. ok so what are the possibilites of me getting that back? and how? and if possible me doing it myself?

please help , thank you testmy members

solidsnake

you could try going to the command prompt and changing to the directory there or entering the path of the folder in the explorer bar to see what happens. maybe run a checkdisk (if that frees up 40 gigs of space you know what happened). other scenario: you accidentally deleted it and the 40 gigs are now in the recycling bin, still taking up space and restorable...

not really. none of that is possible solution. the folder is not there even from dos. i ran check disk . no use. plus i am ultimately sure that i did not delete it. im not that kinda guy.

i searched a lot for recovery programs. THEY DO SHOW ME that ALL THIS CAN BE RECOVERED. but then they ask for money.

so someone please tell me something

solidsnake; You might try this:

By default, Windows Explorer does not display files with attribute set to Hidden. Use this method to make Explorer show all the hidden files:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel

Double-click Folder Options

On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders

Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not typical items. Usually, hidden files are program or system files that should not be deleted or changed.

Still some files remain hidden?

Windows XP adds another layer of hidden files, known as "Super-hidden" or Protected Operating System files. Generally, these protected files are not intended to be visible for the user as they're not intended to be modified by the user. To display other hidden files, clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.

Show Super Hidden File Extensions 

Even when you have configured Windows to display all file extensions, there are still some which remain hidden. This allows potentially dangerous files to be masked as safe files, fooling the user into executing them. This tweak helps expose those file extensions.

It is possible for a malicious user to name a file so that it looks safe to open, when in fact it may be executable containing dangerous content.

For example, a file could be displayed as "readme.txt" in explorer, when it fact it is really name "readme.txt.shs" but since the ".shs" portion of the filename is hidden it is impossible to tell it apart from a simple text file. Then once a user double-clicks to open this file, instead of seeing a text page as expected, the file will be executed by Windows as a scrap object and potentially harm the system.

To remove the potential to hide files, open your registry and using the search function find each occurance of a value named "NeverShowExt".

When this value is present the associated file extension will not be shown. To display the file extension highlight the "NeverShowExt" value and press Delete. Repeat this process for each extension you want to display.

Registry Settings

System Key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT]

Value Name: NeverShowExt

Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)

If you want you might try this from DOS if you know the name of the folder.

At the prompt for example :C:>cdwindowsthe name of the file or if it's just in C:

C:>cdname of file

Then type dir or dir /W/P this should show the directory of the file.If it's still there.

If it's in another drive then use that drive letter like D: , E: , etc.

Hey all:  solidsnake followed my suggestions in the post above & then e-mailed me.A folder or file showed named   found.000  It has the 40+GB size of his missing folder.Is there a way to recover this folder?

I did look for some information & it should have a lot of .chk files in it but solidsnake hasn't e-mailed me back so I don't know.There are two DL's at the link below has anyone tried them or have an opinion on them.They are UnCHK & FileCHK these are .chk file recovery programs.

http://www.ericphelps.com/uncheck/

found.000 sounds like the chkdsk run found lost clusters (ones that had data but weren't allocated to any file.) unsure under what settings it would save these, but if the entire dir was 'lost' and these are the clusters from it then the found.000 could be a 40 gig file with all the data lumped together in it. that might be why the data recovery company is offering to do it for cash. the stuff is still there they would have to separate it into the separate files again.

solidsnake;You're welcome & welcome to the forum as well.If you would give us some more details on the recovered folder it would be useful in helping someone with a simular problem.For instance was the folder you lost in the found.000 & did you have to do anything special to get it back where you wanted it?

ok people so this is how my case was. and this very recently happened again. so due to power failure, which very frequent over here, some of my folders were completely not existing anymore . and i went as cholla suggested to Folder Options and unchecked "Hide Protected System Files......." , which gives back a folder usually named found.00X  . and very luckily in those folders u found the exact folder u lost (the folder name may be changed to dir.00X) with all files and subfolders with proper names. MAY GOD NEVER PUT ANYONE IN THE SITUATION SO HE DESPARATELY HAS TO READ THIS POST  :D

GOD IS GREAT