New digital camera

richcornucopia

I'm looking to upgrade my digital camera to something with a few more megapixels as a friend offered me some money for my current camera. Right now I have a dsc-p150 7.2megapixel sony camera which has served me well and I really like. I would like to stick with the compact digital camera like the p150 as I'm not ready to haul around an slr, I want something I can slip in my pocket. I know theres more to digital cameras then just megapixels which is why I want to hear your personal experience or thoughts.

Thanks

when i bought my cam 1.5 years ago the 350 dollar price range had some 5 and some 4 mp cameras. i went with a kodak 4 mp that has a 4x optical zoom and pretty much every manual function you would expect to find on a normal slr. it is fairly compact and uses li-ion battery packs. one came with it and i bought the hi capacity one so that if i take it on the road i always have at least one full battery that's good for a couple hundred shots. with a 512 meg card it gets about 250 or so pics at highest quality or 47 minutes of 360x240 30fps quicktime video. with the 4x optical zoom and the 3x digital you can get pretty close while the 4x optical lets you take moderate tele shots whithout sacrificing resolution.

so when shopping around go for the best lens set you care to pay for, memory is cheap and decide what kind of power supply you prefer. (dedicated battery packs, usually li-ion nowadays usually last way longer than rechargeable or alkaline AAs or AAAs.) battery packs mean you need to plug in the charger to reload, but like i said, one pack for me can fill the mem card so i need to dock it somewhere anyway. and the charger that came with mine is a travel charger, so it will eat anything between 100 and 260 volts.

i don't think that cam would make my list,m but then that's what personal taste is for. as for is the upgrade worth it, do you have the cash available and do you want/need the upgrade?

I've got the cash, but I'm just wondering If I'm going to see any difference in upgrading to a newer 8 megapixel camera vs my current 7.2. Looks like Sony came out with the dsc-p200 which is basically the dsc-p150 which I have with a few changes to the lcd so the p150 is still a pretty good camera.

How old is the camera that you are selling? 

I dont think the digital camera market is developing like the computer market is or even it own market was back about 4 or 5 years ago.  The sony cameras are very nice!  I think the one that you currently have is the one that one of the former swimmers also has.  Great images!

My only question is why go with small and compact..  If you are going to drop that kind of money why not look at an SLR?

sure. but if like you said you're happy with what you have now, maybe invest in more batteries/memory if you feel either is insufficient and wait before sinking more money into a camera that is only a little better than the current one.

Thats a good idea maybe I'll check out some accessories. I've always been a bit disappointed with the zoom, but maybe they sell different zoom lenses.

I have got the kodak P850 5.1 Mega w/12X Optical Zoom, and the RiData 2GB card w/lifetime card, will take loads of pics, and can blow them up to 8 1/2 x 11 pretty well. I like it anyway.    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kodak-EasyShare-P850-Zoom-Digital-Camera/sem/rpsm/oid/136825/catOid/-13062/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

About same price. And the card is great also.