Can't access router or modem while downloading

That is a interesting problem you have there.. Like tommie recommended try by passing the router.. plug the modem directly into the computer that you are using.  If that works then you know it is a router/switch issue.. ( do you have DHCP turned off on the router?)  You also might want to power cycle the equipment.. just to make sure that it isnt a one time bug.. If that still doent work.. then call the good old ISP.. You should be able to surf the internet while downloading..  You download would slow to allow for the incoming/outgoing traffic generated by the surfing..

BTW welcome to the forum!

I rearranged my network and the problem seems to have fixed itself. I'm currently downloading a file with a browser window open to my modem's access page and the auto refresh is working no problem. I was also able to browse to this site without a problem. thanks for the help, though, I appreciate it.