incredibly hard to explain ==> see post [[networking]]

ok, i have a wireless card in my pc. i also obviously have an ethernet port as well. right now i get my wireless connection from a netgear router.

what i want to do is pass my internet connection from my pc ==through ethernet==> to an old linksys [wrt54g] that i have lying around, while still keeping internet active on my pc.

please disregard if this question is so nubtastic that it has no solution, but any help would be highly appreciated.

possible.. Let me understand what you are trying to do first.. You want to go from a wifi connection and convert it to ethernet then put it on to the linksys router?  I think with ICS, disabling the DHCP server on the Linksys router, and leaving the computer on it should work.. Let me try this tonight and I will get back to ya tomorrow..

BTW welcome to the forum!

You sure can and i done it before, the downside is that you will have no internet connection to the router connected to your lan port when computer is off. DHCp should be eanabled on the router connected to the Lan port, since it will have to automatically assing IP to each computer connected to it, unless you want to do it manualy, but you must assig an IP to the Lan port 192.168.1.1 or any class c internat network ip it wont work unless you do it this way, im not really sure but think swimmer has a good point , enabling ICS will permit the computer to share inet, but i think it will be much easier just to connect computers directy to the wireless router, computers connected there will always have inet

right.. that computer with ICS on would have to say up for the linksys router to have internet..

ICS= Internet Connection Sharing.. it is built into Windows to allow computer to share the internet with out the use of a router..

so i gather you have a room with the modem and the netgear and are using the broadband via wireless. you want to share the broadband where your comp is at by hooking up the old router in dumb mode to the comp and let the router be just a switch and the comp doing connection sharing to the other comps connected to the old router.

my suggestion is run a cable from the netgear to the old router and plug all the comps into that. that way you avoid the wireless slowdown and still need to run only one cable to where the old router would be to supply all the comps.

right.. that computer with ICS on would have to say up for the linksys router to have internet..

ICS= Internet Connection Sharing.. it is built into Windows to allow computer to share the internet with out the use of a router..

i hate to be a post whore, but who is that girl ? she is hawt lolz :)

@ swimmer and rammolo: which is it? dhcp enabled or disabled [swimmer and rammolo's advice (respectively)]

@ disturbed: youre not being a post-whore...she is quite hot.

depends.. I have always done it DHCP off through the wan port.. basically turning it into an AP.. but the other way seems easier.. so go with that..

Res, that will be OK, but youre just routing (in the worst scenario) 4 puters to the same port to another route, that will end up more likely a hub or switch, just a bottleneck 4 lines to one pipe that its already conggested, but it has cons and pros that will depend in the particular situation