Double router setup? *plz help*

I am trying a new setup as i do not have a ton of money for wireless cards. Is it possible to take an adelphia cable modem, plug it into a  wireless WRT54G internet port. I then take an ethernet cord and run it from a hub of the wireless WRT54G and plug it into the internet port of another linksis router, wired model BEFSR41. When i try to acsess the internet using a port from the wired BEFSR41, i cannot connect to the internet.

for simpler understanding......

Cable jack-----Cable modem------Wireless WRT54G-------Wired BEDSR41----------Computer

I can not connect to the internet on the computer, but can establish  a connection to the router.

can anybody help me?

you need to go to the second routers config page and tell it that it is not a router, simply a switch. then you can connect comps to the available ports. the cable from the first router will likely have to go into one of the standard ports. i remember seeing routers that would leave it active and some would shut off the wan/internet port when configured to be just a switch.

First welcome to the forum!!

There are two ways, i believe, that will work.  Either plug the ethernet cable from the wrt54g into port one of the BEFSR41.. or go on the BEFSR41 and disable DCHP server and plug the cable into the wan port.  That should take care of what you are trying to do.

will just disabling dhcp make it act like a switch towards a connection via the wan port? or will the router itself try to get an ip as a device on the network. i'm not aware as to the options of that routers setup. mine lets me disable all router functions completely so it acts like just a switch.

IK Gamex welcome to the forum.

i actually currently do this. i take a eathernet cable from my router/modem combo to my wrt54g, and plung it into the wan port, then go into the wrt54gs control panel and change the ip from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1. and it works great.