Windows Errors VERY Frequent

Guest PeePs

Guest PeePs

Ok, so like 2 weeks ago i wanted to connect my computer to my laptop directly via a crossover cable and it wouldn't work so after messing around a bit I installed the "file and printer sharing" in the network properties and it seems like ever since I did that I keep getting all these Windows errors that say Windows Explorer is being closed to "protect" my computer. Here is a screenshot of it. Sometimes when I'm doing a lot of stuff on the computer with many different programs I can experience like 5 of these in 1/2 an hour. I'm pretty sure it's not a virus or spyware (although i cant be 100% sure), would there be some way a windows file could get corrupt or something causing these errors? I think it has to do with that **** file and printer sharing.

Hey PeePs.  My first thought is virus/spyware too.  Have you tried some online scans in addition to what you have installed?  http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan

Have you disabled File and Printer sharing?  Do the errors persist?

Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking and see if the errors occur there.  (This will tell you if a process is killing Explorer)

Nice collection of apps and games, BTW!!!

Guest PeePs

I'm ganna try doing what FallowEarth said and disable file and printer sharing and see if I still get the errors.

Nice collection of apps and games, BTW!!!

Haha Thank you sir, I like to think so myself  ;) .

PeePs that wouldnt happen to be windows server 2003 would it?

Nope I'm running Windows XP Professional

alright I am going to go with virus/spyware on this one.. The windows you are seeing is DEP related.. Data Execution Prevention = DEP..  It protects from random programs calling commands  and prevents buffer over runs..  I did you install anything real recent? 

Guest PeePs
did you install anything real recent? 

I've been installing a few things lately. Most of it are programs and things I need to backup DVD's. (DVD decrypter, DVD Rebuilder, CCE) I think that is pretty much the only recent installs I have done. I am always running the Lavasoft Ad-Watch monitor that blocks pop-ups,  prevents any registry changes, tracking cookies, browser hijacks, and pretty much anything else.

Ever since I turned off the file and printer sharing I haven't gotten the error once yet. I haven't really been using my computer that much though so I'll keep you guys posted.