Wireless connectivity (or lack thereof)

Guest philp

Guest philp

I just got a Dell laptop and can't use the wireless function. When I click "repair" it won't renew my IP address. Would this be more of a Linksys problem? I REALLY hate trying to get tech support from them, so if anyone has an idea how I can fix this myself, please help.

BTW, I do have a PC connected via wireless connection and it works fine. I am using a Linksys wireless G with firmware version 2.02.7

Guest philp

Dell Inspiron laptop w/integrated 802.11g mini-card. Linksys wireless G router 2.4 GHz with firmware 2.02.7 and WEP encrypted at the moment. Couldn't get any type of connection at first, the encrypted it and that's as far as it will go.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the card.

Sorry. It's a WRT54G router.

Guest philp

I found the answer on the Linksys website of all places! Had to rename the network and enable SSID broadcast.

Life is good.

Thanks to swimmer and dlewis for your input.  :icon_thumleft:

Hey philp.

I use the same router.  This is the configuration I've found works best:

• SSID Broadcast: OFF
  • Network Authentication: OPEN
  • Data Encryption: DISABLED
  • MAC Filtering: ENABLED

This way all you need to do is log into the router and put the MAC address of your WLAN card into the MAC filtering list.  You can find the MAC by performing IPCONFIG/ALL from the command prompt. 

Hey philp.

I use the same router.  This is the configuration I've found works best:

• SSID Broadcast: OFF
  • Network Authentication: OPEN
  • Data Encryption: DISABLED
  • MAC Filtering: ENABLED

This way all you need to do is log into the router and put the MAC address of your WLAN card into the MAC filtering list.  You can find the MAC by performing IPCONFIG/ALL from the command prompt. 

ya i use mac filtering as well with no Encryption

same router, with dd-wrt firmware

Hay just want to let you guys know incase you dont already, turning off SSID broadcast and enabling MAC filtering doesnt really make you secure, you should always have some sort of encryption on wether its WPA or WEP you should really have 1 on.

Hay just want to let you guys know incase you dont already, turning off SSID broadcast and enabling MAC filtering doesnt really make you secure, you should always have some sort of encryption on wether its WPA or WEP you should really have 1 on.

How so? WEP is not secure. There are way too many exploits. With MAC filtering enabled as "Permit Only," no other devices can connect to our network than those on the list. Since the router is the only access point on the network (don't use range expanders), there is no backdoor. Turning the SSID broadcast off is a means of keeping under the radar.

I think people have way too much faith in WEP security, and WPA for that matter. Anything being broadcasted with a key or passphrase is vulnerable to being sniffed out and cracked. WEP authenticate based on MAC address (der, mistake there), and WPA uses TKIP and EAP, both of which have been widely exploited. I'll admit, having these security features enabled is better than leaving your network wide open, but if your neighbour is intent enough on getting past encryption, they will.

However, if they're not on the MAC filter list, it doesn't matter. Unless they break into your home, hook up to the router with cat-5, crack your admin page, and put themselves on the list....they don't stand a chance. And then it would be as simple as taking them off the list, changing your admin password, and getting a dog.

I could see if you were running a business, and transferring a lot sensitive data, that it would be more of a priority to encrypt it.  However, I'm just worried about ppl hopping on my network and leeching bandwidth.

FallowEarth yea wep is very insecure and you really shouldn't use it, but some people still have network cards that wont do WPA, and WEP is better then no SSID, and mac filter.

now the reason mac filter and turning off SSID are bad is because of 2 little programs, Cain & Abel, and Ethereal, Cain will find the ssid in a sec and ethereal will give me the mac id of your computer and i can mask my mac id with your mac id in ethereal and then be in your network in less then 30 seconds using your internet and doing what ever and the whole time your router thinks that my computer is actually your computer.

The only true way to secure your wireless network is with WPA. All the other security methods have been broken. I have personally broken every one except WPA.

Someone has a better chance of getting in your network through the internet then they do going through WPA.

I'm familiar with the software you mention.  I have ethereal running on my linux currently.  It's not bad, but runs off Pcap...that's an easy workaround.  Cain & Abel, I seem to remember, is a brute force/dictionary password cracker.  That's a totally mad way to sniff a password, because if you have any sort of network analyzer on the doorstep, you'll pick that up and smash it before it gets past "charlie." 

WPA is not secure.  It uses a pulic key.  Anyone can get their hands on the key to the algorithm if they know where to look. 

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you DLewis, you're right that it is good to enable these security devices.  My point is that there really isn't any real security for wireless.  I think that turning your SSID broadcast off is probably the most critical step...you'll just get passed over for the next network.

I'm looking forward to seeing what 802.11i brings to wireless security: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11i

I'm familiar with the software you mention.  I have ethereal running on my linux currently.  It's not bad, but runs off Pcap...that's an easy workaround.  Cain & Abel, I seem to remember, is a brute force/dictionary password cracker.  That's a totally mad way to sniff a password, because if you have any sort of network analyzer on the doorstep, you'll pick that up and smash it before it gets past "charlie." 

WPA is not secure.  It uses a pulic key.  Anyone can get their hands on the key to the algorithm if they know where to look. 

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with you DLewis, you're right that it is good to enable these security devices.  My point is that there really isn't any real security for wireless.  I think that turning your SSID broadcast off is probably the most critical step...you'll just get passed over for the next network.

I'm looking forward to seeing what 802.11i brings to wireless security: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11i

in not trying to argue with you earthier I'm just saying what i know, and its your network you can protect it anyway you like,

I am so looking forward to what 802.11i will offer.