dsl tweaks in xp

Guest helloimtim

Guest helloimtim

Hello all. Just found your site. It rocks!! In my humble opinion as far as dsl and xp goes DON'T tweak it. Tweaking it can make things tons worse. From everything I have read and all the countless tweaks I have tried nothing beats xp default. There are tons of things that can affect your speed. Spy ware,your provider,how busy the net is, Countless things. I suggest this. Run scans for spy ware. Shut down your computer,unplug your dsl box for 30 sec then plug back in. Wait another 30 sec and turn on your computer. I also offer this really neat free tool http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm. Check Both boxes so those options don't run and hit apply. Someone correct me if I am wrong but its my understanding that sp2 for xp is almost impossible to tweak settings?? Don't drive yourself crazy trying to squeeze just a bit more out of dsl. If you have changed your settings several times consider putting them back to xp default. Just my humble opinion. Take it for what its worth.........peace.........im out

Hello all. Just found your site. It rocks!! In my humble opinion as far as dsl and xp goes DON'T tweak it. Tweaking it can make things tons worse. From everything I have read and all the countless tweaks I have tried nothing beats xp default. There are tons of things that can affect your speed. Spy ware,your provider,how busy the net is, Countless things. I suggest this. Run scans for spy ware. Shut down your computer,unplug your dsl box for 30 sec then plug back in. Wait another 30 sec and turn on your computer. I also offer this really neat free tool http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm. Check Both boxes so those options don't run and hit apply. Someone correct me if I am wrong but its my understanding that sp2 for xp is almost impossible to tweak settings?? Don't drive yourself crazy trying to squeeze just a bit more out of dsl. If you have changed your settings several times consider putting them back to xp default. Just my humble opinion. Take it for what its worth.........peace.........im out

hey helloimtim and welcome to the forum :)

My experiance is that you can tweak dsl on win XP, but its alot harder then Cable. The best thing is to see what speed you have over UDP protocol and if thats the same speed as your TCP speed there is nothing more to do

But there is not much speedtests that run over UDP protocol, In Sweden we have a speedtest that you can choose ISP testserver and measure both TCP, UDP speed and fullduplex . That tool helps alot to find out if the tweaks will help or not.

What you need to think of comparing UDP and TCP speed is that you have approx 10 % overhead in TCP, so the maximal speed for a dslmodem capped 8 Mbps is 7,2 Mbps over  TCP.

so if you ger a speed close to 90 % of your cap, dont tweak on dsl...

Ive helped alot of ppl and i got to say, you need to test tweaks before you can say if they work or not, unless you have a speedtest over UDP to compare with.

VanBuren :)

UDP?? Thats over my head?? Could you please explaine that one. Thank you

UDP is User Datagram Protocol: a unreliable, connectionless transport protocol which works over Internet Protocol

UDP is used in streaming and games, that dosent need handshakes

TCP protocol shake hands every time you send a packet, the reciver must send you acknowledgepacket that he recived that packet, if the reciver didnt get the packet , the sender has to resend it.

as you probl understand this prosess takes time, and also needed of that worthless data overhead .

try google, there are alot of info about how these protocols works :)

VanBuren :)