upgrading to mac os 10.3 from mac os 10.2.8

mmpcsnet

hello I am in the process of troubleshooting my girlfriend's mac pc and she is attempting to upgrade from mac os 10.2.8 to mac os 10.3.  she has an ibook that has a 700 mhz processor and is a power G3.  she and I have attempted to go through the apple menu to system preferences and update through software update but has been unsuccessful.  Do you have any suggestions as to how to upgrade to mac os 10.3 and/or what are the requirements for the mac os 10.3 system?  Thanks in advance!!!

I believe that you will need to install it as a new OS. The Software updates are applicable to the OS that you have currently installed. ie. you have 10.2.8....the .8 part is the update of the OS that you have installed. Since you will be installing a new OS (10.3), the updates won't work. You will have to install it from the CD.

Here is a link for the installation guide for Panther 10.3 from Apple's support site:

http://www.apple.com/support/panther/install/

Also, check out the archive and install option:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

I believe that you will need to install it as a new OS.  The Software updates are applicable to the OS that you have currently installed.  ie. you have 10.2.8....the .8 part is the update of the OS that you have installed.  Since you will be installing a new OS (10.3), the updates won't work.  You will have to install it from the CD. 

you can install it as an update, its just like going form SP1 to SP2.

also just curious why aren't you going to 10.4 tiger?