Backup software and RAID 0

inmate717

Hi all,

Just a quick question to get the experts opinion. I am currently running a RAID 0 array of 2 200 GB Maxtor SATA drives. I am wanting to put the 2 320 GB Seagates that i just acquired as my main raid array. What backup software do you recommend? or just use the backup in XP? I ask cause I really don't feel like installing all these programs again, not only that but tweaking my connection again? Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks

alright.. I am not sure what you are trying to do here..  Are you replacing the current 200gb drives with the 320s or are you going to try and rebuilt the current array with the addition of the 320s? 

If you are going to do the first option.. i would image the disks and then restore the image to the new drives.. 

If the second idea is kinda crazy.. you would only get 200gb out of 320gb hard drives.  So you are wasting 120gb.. 

you should be able to image the 200gb drive to the 320s.. all the imaging software is copy the 'live' sectors of the drive.. then dumps them to the new drive.. You might even be able to use the manufactures software to do a disk copy.. 

As far as imaging a single drive to an array.. I dont know if any consumer level programs can do that..  Ghost might be able to do it.. if the drivers are loaded when you reboot into PC-DOS mode..

Swimmer is got a raid of 2X200 and moving to a raid of 2X320

i don't think he can mirror the raid like from a low level

because obviously the raid disks are different the sectors etc..

but i think if you make a mirror of ur 1st raid to an external source

then install windows on ur 2nd raid then u could mirror back

that is my idea

Ok so far today (while out on service calls and what not) I have started a backup of my original RAID 0 using norton ghost 10, Which griped about my SATA drivers. Now I could put them on a usb jump drive right? and just hit f6 when it asks for them. or do what i did for my original install and make an unattended install cd with the drivers integrated but im not sure how that would work with using ghost