desktop right click lockup

destructionfever

Title pretty much says it all. My xp computer has sp2 and when I right click anywhere on the desktop it locks the computer up and I have to reboot everytime. I have webroot spy sweeper and I heard this program adding a context menu item to my right click function causes the glitch. I disabled spy sweeper's ability to put in a context menu item. It didn't solve it. If anyone has a fix for this problem please share. I should also note I did all my safe mode malware/virus scans. thanks, Nick

It turns out Microsoft enterprise 2007 is entirely corrupt on my computer. I couldn't make repairs to it or uninstall it. The only way to get rid of it would have been to go into the registry and delete entries. I don't have much experience editing the registry...so I did the next best thing. I hit ctrl alt delete and looked at the processes. I determined the process that put itself in the context menu was Microsoft Groove 2007. When I killed that process I could then right click on my desktop. If you kill the process it isn't enough because upon the next start up the process for the corrupt Groove software adds itself to the context menu again. This is exactly what caused the right click function to lock up on me . But I now needed a safe way to keep it off permanently without having to go into the registry and edit things (too risky if you don't know what you're doing there). Doing a bit of research I found a handy program over at softpedia.com. It's called Shell Ex View, and what it does is list the processes running on your PC the only difference is once you do a process of elimination with each process. Narrow it down to the problematic process. Then from this nifty program's interface you can permanently disable the process so that it never re-enables itself. Since I knew what the problematic process was initially it was very easy to get that corrupt process fixed with this program. So, if you're like me and are a novice at registry editing I definitely suggest you check this program out because it works! thanks again, Nick