Need help connecting to xmradio online

sharonst

Our Compaq laptop no longer will connect to xmradio online. We have had it for several months with no problems. Still works fine on our other computers.  When we log in to xmradio and select the music we want, it just says "opening media" at the bottom and then freezes up.  This happens with both Windows Media Player and Real Player.  The test player through xmradio works as does other similar programs.

We have reinstalled media player, checked all settings against the xmradio FAQ for this issue and even reinstalled Windows on the computer in question.

What else can we try?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Easy fix, I promise

Open up WMP externally and click on

TOOLS>OPTIONS>NETWORK

then make sure HTTP is highlighted, click configure and then select "Do not use a proxy server"

Ok and Apply then close the player and all open IE windows and you should be all set.

I have a Compaq 2100 laptop and had the same problem once I reinstalled Windows.

This should do it for you

-Miklay

Hi there,

I have a possible diagnosis for your problem, but it is more based on your battery as earlier noted. I have a very weak battery after just over a year and a half of owning my laptop. I ALWAYS have it plugged in otherwise I can expect less then 10 minutes of battery life, even though the power meter says 1+ hour. Don't trust the battery meter windows provides!

When running off battery I have found that everything runs slower, which makes sense. When you overclock your processor, memory or video card you provide a higher voltage to the components. With a battery, as compared to A/C power there is less of a supply for these components to use all at once. To compensate for this your computer will slow down and all non-critical apps will run much slower. With XP I have found that IE runs at the bottom of the 'important' list and gets the least amount of system resource which translates to slow page transitions and/or crashes.

...At least this is my theory.

When I tried my sisters battery (same make and model) I had no problems with anything - the battery guage was accurate, I got a good hour of battery life and everything ran smoothly. So try to get another battery if you think that might be the problem.

One more possibility is if you have an old monitor or one hooked up to a desktop lying around or a TV that can accept S-Video try to hook up your laptop to it. Because of a laptops limited resources I have found that closing the lid or turning off the LCD and running on an external monitor has helped increase performance a bit (and definitely lengthened the battery life)

I hope this did some help

-Miklay

Oh, and thanks and hi back

• 2 weeks later...