Jump to content
tekwav

My Results not working?

Recommended Posts

I need to take a little time to figure out and understand why that's happening specifically for your results and not others.  Every other member I try works.

 

To clarify the situation, when was the last time you pulled up your results?  Was this working fine before today?

 

Here's an alternative link to your results while I investigate the issue. tekwav's results

 

I've never seen this happen and I've visited tens of thousands of member result links over the years. 

 

If it were more widespread I'd think it was a mod_rewrite issue.  To test anyway I created an unrelated rule and got the same result.  But when I visit the path that the rule is forwarding to... it works, no problem.  I also reset apache and nginx in case there was something happening there.  Still 404.

 

You've been a member since 2013 and have hundreds of results saved so I assume it's been working up until recently.

 

This has to be one of the most baffling bugs I've ever seen.  No joke.  It would make more sense if your username had an odd character in it or something.

 

I'll update this thread when I have more information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is so weird!

 

Here's the rules I'm testing.

 

RewriteRule ^statstest/tekwav$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^statstest/tekwav.$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^statstest/.tekwav$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^statstest/.tekwav.$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA]

 

So they are all pointing the the same destination.

 

https://testmy.net/statstest/tekwav -- 404 not found
https://testmy.net/statstest/tekwav. -- 200 works
https://testmy.net/statstest/.tekwav -- 404 not found
https://testmy.net/statstest/.tekwav. -- 200 works

 

They should all work.

 

I went directly to the server IP and had the same result, so it's definitely not cloudflare.

 

lol... I think it's because your username ends in wav ... like a wav file.  This probably boils down to a poorly written expression in nginx additional directives.

 

Here's why I have this theory.

 

RewriteRule ^statstest/.ekwav$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA] -- 404 not found
RewriteRule ^statstest/t.kwav$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA] -- 404 not found
RewriteRule ^statstest/te.wav$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA] -- 404 not found
RewriteRule ^statstest/tek.av$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA] -- 200 works
RewriteRule ^statstest/tekw.v$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA] -- 200 works
RewriteRule ^statstest/tekwa.$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA] -- 200 works

 

results in

 

https://testmy.net/statstest/.ekwav -- 404 not found
https://testmy.net/statstest/t.kwav -- 404 not found
https://testmy.net/statstest/te.wav -- 404 not found
https://testmy.net/statstest/tek.av -- 200 works
https://testmy.net/statstest/tekw.v -- 200 works
https://testmy.net/statstest/tekwa. -- 200 works

 

As I iterate through, as soon as the URL it no longer ends in "wav" it works.

 

Now the rule is supposed to be looking for .wav not wav

 

Here's the culprit.  In nginx additional directives.

 

location ~* .(js|jpg|jpeg|gif|css|tgz|gz|rar|bz2|doc|pdf|ppt|tar|wav|bmp|rtf|swf|ico|flv|txt|woff|woff2|svg|json)$ {
	etag on;
	if_modified_since exact;
	add_header Pragma "public";
	add_header Cache-Control "max-age=31536000, public";
}

 

To further test the theory that this is the culprit I add additional test rules to my .htaccess (mod_rewrite)

 

We'll pretend a new member has a name ending in doc and tgz -- then test with one character blocking the pattern I suspect is being detected.

RewriteRule ^statstest/tekdoc$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^statstest/tekdo.$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^statstest/tektgz$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^statstest/tektg.$ /tools/database/db_search.php?type=user_name&q=tekwav [L,QSA]

 

https://testmy.net/statstest/tekdoc -- 404 not found
https://testmy.net/statstest/tekdo. -- 200 works
https://testmy.net/statstest/tektgz -- 404 not found
https://testmy.net/statstest/tektg. -- 200 works

 

Still, I don't see a mistake in how that nginx directive is written.  That should only capture if it has a preceding period.  I'll have to think about this.  Obviously I can just remove that rule and it will work but I have it there for a reason. 

 

Maybe I simply need to remove the leading period and then add it to each.  Like this... (update: nevermind, same result)

 

Yup, without that nginx directive it works.  I'll try to understand why it's not working as expected and rewrite that directive and post it here for other webmasters.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...