How accurate is the speed test?

tttom

This is the most recent download speed test I have taken:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 3771 Kbps about 3.8 Mbps (tested with 1496 KB)

Download Speed is:: 460 KB/sec

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Bottom Line:: 67 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 2.23 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=8G6KPD524

I have had tests of over 4200 kbps.

My upload test is ususally 248-250 or so; this is what I would expect.

My service is 3000/256, so how can I be testing so high. I do empty the cache before testing, and have had other sights show download speeds of >5000.

BTW - Cox's site usually shows downloads of 2800 - 3200.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Ok this site is really unique, all praise CA3LE, he has done a great service to the internet testing world.... Most of the site you visit are using like 500k files... This means that for broadband internet connections you are really testing your burst speed... 500k isnt even a sweat for most cable or dsl connection.. but with the 1492kb test file you are taxing your connection enough to make it really accurate... If you have ever download anything in IE or Netscape you know what I am talking about.. The first few seconds are like 800kbs... then is falls off... That would be your burst speed... Of course the best way to test you speed is to find a huge file like some 50 or 100 mb file on a really fast server... I think that Microsoft update place is a really good test bed for this...

The reason that you are able to score 3700 on a 3000 line is because you ISP has extra bandwidth and your modem isnt capped at 3000... As more people join you will see your speed go down :cry: However, most people will test above the package speed about 99% of the time... Unless you live in like Chicago where the service and speed is slow... :roll:

"all praise CA3LE"

haha...

Yea, cable connections especially will burst on the initial start of a download... if you want to see a little on the accuracy of my tests check out http://www.testmy.net/bench_results.html ~~ I was wondering myself one day... and came up with that page :) ~~ I was actually shocked myself when I compiled the results :roll:

- Damon

CA3LE, Thanks.

It is good to know that the sites shown as being more accurate are the same ones that also show very good download speeds for my connection. It is also nice to no longer be stuck with the 768/128 I had with Verizon. Who knows what the future will bring if we can somehow keep the politicians from deciding the winners and losers.