NAT Problem??

lorne

Howdy all :D

I have been trying to do some "sharing" lately and have run into a problem i was hoping you guys could help me out with.

The client i am using to "share" continuously shows a yellow face, which possibly means that i have a NAT problem. The thing is i am using Win 2000 not XP so i don't think there is a firewall is there?? Also i am not using a router.

Here is some info from the client FAQ

The smiley faces are indicators for what is going on with your sharing. The yellow smiley is an indicator that, although your system is able to initiate connections with other peers (known as local connections, or L), you are not able to receive connections initiated from other peers (known as remote connections, or R). When you are not able to receive remote connections, this is nearly always to do with incorrectly forwarded ports, from your router or firewall. You can see the L's and R's in the Details view of your individual torrent tabs. If you only see L connections, chances are you have a Port Forwarding problem. Green smileys mean that you have both L and R connections to peers, and that you are connected to the tracker.

Because of this my DL speed and upload speed is really bad like 10KB/sec.

I have changed the port that the client uses a few times incaser my provider was throttling it, and still no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I am not quite sure what is going on to tell you the truth but I am going to just guess based on the set up of the system... If you are not using a router to connect these two systems then you are using 2 nics in one pc and then a crossover cable to the other... Which means that any remote traffic would be intercepted by the first pc before it reaches the second if it is running the same client.... The beauty of a router is you can forward a single port to an internal IP address and only that IP address will respond to the traffic... You might want to try and hook up the line from the modem to the "server" then from the server run a line to your computer... This might get rid of the problem with the remote side but then you might lose the remote side on your computer... I have one more question for you... Are you running two seperate IP address on this system? and is the Default Gateway one of those IPs? Play around a bit and see what happens...

Thanks swimmer, but i am only using one computer it is connected directly to the modem.

I am sharing files via tracker. Since i am using only one computer i am completely baffled at why this is happening.

Thanks for the help and keep it coming if you think of something else. :)