why does tcp/IP analyzer recommend change?

bent240LV

i am using cablenut setting from VanBuren and when i use the tcp/ip analyzer it always recommends me to change my RWIN to a multiple of MSS shold i do this?  also i just installed my vonage wired router does anyone think i should make any changes in cablenut to get better performance?

ok i just joined this foroum to help build a portifilio for when i get my masters degree but anyway..

the fiorst thing im focousing on is rwin

recently i have aquired proof that u should not set ur rwin based on multiples of mss

however this information and the "new seting" i am here to test and prove were based for svr protocols. so i am basicly doing this to prove 1 question

If it works for a svr wont it work 4 u 2

I might even write a book

heres what i propose

if ur analizer says it wants a new rwin

give it this 1

to find ur ideal rwin...

The formula for finding your "ideal" RWIN, is to take your latency (average ping time in ms x 1.5), multiply that by your advertised (download) speed, and divide that by 8.

example of my settings

100ms

x

x

6223 but well just say 6000 to prevent overload

/

----112500 <--------ahhahahhahahha

do a speed test after rebooting and disabling all u can

do this rwin forumla, restart and re do a speed test

i honstly have never even used cable nut i can give it a shot but i have traditionaly set the mtu to 1499

the mss to 1460

rwin to 112500

ttl 128

auto discovermtu and blk hole off

my co worker insisted on tweaking everything else for my svr and usercomp

and have seen phenominal results

hey bent240LV :)

your using windows XP with SP2 right?

with SP2 the analyzers will read "DefaultReceiveWindow" instead of "TcpWindowSize"

the TcpWindowSize suppose to be multiple with your MSS

quote from http://www.dslnuts.com/2kxp.shtml

"32. TcpWindowSize - This parameter determines the maximum TCP receive window size offered by the system. The receive window specifies the number of bytes a sender may transmit without receiving an acknowledgment. In general, larger receive windows will improve performance over high (delay * bandwidth ) networks. For highest efficiency, the receive window should be an even multiple of the TCP Maximum Segment Size (MSS).

Value Type: REG_DWORD