Windows Won't Start Up

Guest PeePs

Guest PeePs

ok....... this sucks *** i think i broke 512 MB of memory now too. I took out one of the memory chips to see if that was the problem and that still didnt work so i put the memory back in and the BIOS is still reading only 256 MB of memory. Is memory sappose to be able to fit in any way? And is it bad if it's put in the wrong way and then the computer is turned on? BAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ok....... this sucks ass i think i broke 512 MB of memory now too. I took out one of the memory chips to see if that was the problem and that still didnt work so i put the memory back in and the BIOS is still reading only 256 MB of memory. Is memory sappose to be able to fit in any way? And is it bad if it's put in the wrong way and then the computer is turned on? BAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It will only go in one way.  Won't hurt it if it's half way in the wrong way.  Take it easy.  Last thing you want to do is really break something.  Done that myself.  Shut it down, take the chip out, then put it back in so both of the clips slip into place onto the chip

Guest PeePs

I actually did try it both ways, maybe it wasnt in all the way when i tried it or something.... guess ill try switching it again.

It looks as though the only other option for me to try is to remove the CMOS battery and then put it back in. If that doesn't work I think im going to either have to lose all my files or buy another hard drive  :cry:. Or I can just throw my computer out the window . I kinda like that idea.

Thanks for all the links and help guys  :D.

Guest PeePs

lol...... i tried taking that memory stick out and putting it back in like 5 times and it doesn't seem to work either way. I don't really even see any notches in it, only 1 notch like right in the middle.

lol...... i tried taking that memory stick out and putting it back in like 5 times and it doesn't seem to work either way. I don't really even see any notches in it, only 1 notch like right in the middle.

The notch in the middle should be offset Not exactly in the middle).  Make sure you line up the ends of the chip with the slots in the two clips and make sure they are opened up so the chip can slide in real easy.  Look down into the chip slot and see which end is the shorter then put the chip in with the shorter end the same.

Guest PeePs
My only other thing to suggest without the PC staring me in the face is, do you have another computer with winxp on it where you could take that H.D. out of the problem PC and plugin in place of the CD Rom in the good PC then boot to windows and right click on start, go to explore and find the your oldrive in the tree, left click the drive letter to highlight it then right click go to properties then tools, error-checking. click check now, put a check in both boxes, click start, then YES and restart PC, upon reboot it will check and hopefully fix any errors. then put H.D. back in other pc and try to boot.

Nope, this one is windows 98 and then i also have a windows 95.... My borthers laptop is windows XP, but i dunno how to open laptops up and i really should break his computer too  ;).

I might be able to bring it to a friends house and then do that, but his is windows XP so that wouldnt work would it?

Guest PeePs

Whoops typo..... yes his Windows XP, but i ment to say Windows XP Professional, and mine is just Windows XP Home. And as for that memory, i got it all lined up and in there but the two clips on the sides won't seem to snap into the little nitches on the side of the memory stick. I try pressing harder to get it in father but it doesnt seem to go, im affraid im going to break it.. How hard are u sappose to push on it lol.

Whoops typo..... yes his Windows XP, but i ment to say Windows XP Professional, and mine is just Windows XP Home. And as for that memory, i got it all lined up and in there but the two clips on the sides won't seem to snap into the little nitches on the side of the memory stick. I try pressing harder to get it in father but it doesnt seem to go, im affraid im going to break it.. How hard are u sappose to push on it lol.

Not too hard....  If the clips are lined up with the notches but are not engaged, just push the clips into place.  May want to try that anyway since its all lined up then try pushing it in the rest of the way.

Guest PeePs

OMG AHHHHHHHHHHHHH no matter what i do i cant get it to go far enough in so that the clips will fit in the notches on the side of the memory stick..........

Guest PeePs

Omg, that was a pain in my ***, but after getting more angry and a little rougher i got it in there and BIOS recognized it. As for right now i have to go to church, but later tonight ill try taking the CMOS battery out, and then ill tell you guys how that goes  :D.

Guest PeePs

Ok, I tried removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes and then putting it back in but that didn't help at all. So now I have to ask, if i transfer my HD to a friends computer to checkdisk will it work if his is Windows XP Pro and mine is Windows XP Home?

I already tried all that crap, this is the last resort

I reread the whole topic I saw where you tried the 6 setup disks but I didn't see anywhere that you said you tried or had a startup disk.This will be my last post in this topic.

Since the information I provided in this topic didn't help the problem I removed it. Cholla

Guest PeePs

I reread the whole topic I saw where you tried the 6 setup disks but I didn't see anywhere that you said you tried or had a startup disk.This will be my last post in this topic.

Since the information I provided in this topic didn't help the problem I removed it. Cholla

Sorry if my reply seemed kind of mean, it wasn't ment to come off that way. I was just kinda ready to get off the computer and do something else so i wanted to keep it nice a short. I appreciate the time people give up to try to help me with my problem. Thanks for trying cholla  ;).

As for the startup disks, no I don't have a Windows XP CD. I only have the recovery CD's from HP and those 6 floppy disks i made myself.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest PeePs

ok, i put my hard drive in a friends computer and the computer recognized it and said it was installed properly, but when i click properties on it it says its 0 bytes. In the properties it also says "This device is working properly" so i dunno. When i go to my computer and double click my hard drive it says "G: is not accessible    The Parameter is incorrect" What does this mean, and how can i make it so i can see all my files and scan the hard drive for errors?

ok, i put my hard drive in a friends computer and the computer recognized it and said it was installed properly, but when i click properties on it it says its 0 bytes. In the properties it also says "This device is working properly" so i dunno. When i go to my computer and double click my hard drive it says "G: is not accessible The Parameter is incorrect" What does this mean, and how can i make it so i can see all my files and scan the hard drive for errors?

With my windows 98, if I put a new hard drive in, it does not go to the end of the drive letter list, but instead just after the c: drive.  If I remember correctly, the system partition on the Primary Master comes first  (c :), then the first partition on the next physical HD (D:).  The CDroms always come last, I believe.  Make sure you weren't accessing a cd-rom drive.  I'd suggest opening all of the drives listed to be sure you don't miss it. 

BTW:  The fact that you get the boot menu screen on startup but can't get further shows that the drive is accessible.