VERIZON DSL USERS TRY THIS!

j_lum

:D so before i used my verizon dsl my download speeds were in the 50-70kbs range...I WAS USING THE DSL PHONE CORD THAT CAME WITH THE VERIZON PACKAGE (the smaller-non-LAN connector) I changed it with another cord except this one was 28AWG, 150v, 60*celsius..i have a huge increase in my download speed and now i'm happy with a 150kbs dl rate!  If anyone knows if they make a stronger phone cord let me know!  I'm also looking to upgrade to the 3.0mbps package. If anyone has some info about that, help will be much appreciated!  :D

j_lum: I used 26 gauge cat 3 for my dial up for the wire from the jack to the NID.& 24 gauge from the jack to the PC.I think you can get 18 gauge cat 5 wire & maybe even larger. You don't want too large a gauge though or it will slow you down like too small.BTW you need to get a crimp tool & put the jacks on yourself.that way you can make custom legnths.

Guest helloimtim

Well just to add this info. What I did was run cat 5 wire from the back of my main phone jack and ran it to behind my computer. I just used the cat 5 instead of reg phone line. Put in a phone jack behind my puter desk and ran the cat 5 into that. Really helped my speeds. I didnt but I guess you could use the cat 5 and put reg phone ends on each end of the wire instead of useing the reg phone line from the jack to the back of the dsl modum. I found running new wire and useing cat instead of regular phone line really does help with speeds.

I used regular 4 wire 24 gauge phone wire from the jack to the PC.You could use the cat 3 or 5 on the modular phone line plugs but they don't fit like the flat wire does .I used the regular round & drilled the plug a little to make it fit.Don't use a power drill just use the bit by hand its less likely to break the plug.since the cat 5 is larger you might  not be able to drill the plug enough.In that case you would just have to strip the cable far enough back & use just the wires.Not as pretty but it might give a better connection.Just make sure the color order matches & the plugs are reversed from each other( at least thats correct for a dial-up cable.

If you can larger good cablefrom the wall jack to the NID for dial-up improves the connection.It should be the same for DSL I'm not sure if the outside box for DSL is called a NID but from the wall jack to the outside box with cat 5.Of course you have to own your home to do that or have a cooperative landlord.

thanks! im thinking about doing the CAT5 wires.  I already have a CAT5 cord running from my modem to my computer.  I wanted to run a CAT5 from my modem to my phone jack in the wall but do they sell CAT5 wiring in that size or would i have to convert it.  If it has to be converted, i have no idea how to do that...could you help me? thanks.  BTW i dont care how the set up looks because you can't see it anyways  :haha:

Guest helloimtim

I am guessing your from america with this responce. Radio Shack is the place I got mine. I combined 2 of the same colors and made them into one. Normaly phone lines in america anyway only have 3 wires and the cat has 6. So that is why I did it that way. Just rember to write down what color your using for what wire in the telephone jack. Black On cat 5 = Green on Phone lines. Thats just an example Cause I can not rember what colors are in the cat line. Best of luck

I am guessing your from america with this responce. Radio Shack is the place I got mine. I combined 2 of the same colors and made them into one. Normaly phone lines in america anyway only have 3 wires and the cat has 6. So that is why I did it that way. Just rember to write down what color your using for what wire in the telephone jack. Black On cat 5 = Green on Phone lines. Thats just an example Cause I can not rember what colors are in the cat line. Best of luck

what do I use to get the dsl phone wire to fit because isnt CAT5 larger than that? Is there an adapter to make it fit?..sorry..i'm not an expert

The Cat 3 I used has 4 matched pairs .meaning 8 wires each pair is the same color but 1 of them has a white stripe.the pairs have a twist every so many inches inside the cable .This is to reduce interference. So you need to use them as a pair to take advantage of this. All you need to do is buy the correct modular phone plugs & crimping tool.When you put the plugs on the cable make sure the colors are opposite on each end of the cable when you are looking at the same side of the plug.