In need of XP Sound Driver

resijs

As you may know, I have a knack for posting a problem, and answering it on my own before the next person makes a post for me, well not this time apparently.

I am the proud owner of a Thinkpad 600X that was made back in the 90s and to this day, would be considered trash.

System specs are not necessary except this, it's running on Windows XP when it was first installed with Windows 95, and as such... A driver doesn't work properally.

I have considered the 95/98/98SE/NT releases of the driver provided by both the manufacturer (IBM) and the maker of the sound device itself (Crystal SemiConductor or Cirrus today.)

Let me explain what the problem is.

The default driver provided by Windows XP, I am hit with the "Code 10" or "This Device did not start" error in Device Manager.

(Note: The professionals I showed this to for mere amusement came and said it was trash, however Microsoft or anyone else has not mentioned anything besides it's either a driver problem, or a BIOS problem.)

As I stated above, the XP version of the driver seemingly does not exist, not even NT worked, although it was closest with the error window only saying "Missing Driver File". and no warning symbols next to the device.

The Sound Device's name and model shown by Everest Home Edition reads this, "Cirrus Logic CS4614/22/24 CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator - PCI"

All information said, I would like to ask if anyone knows of a way to get my sound card to work with Windows XP and how, possibly, a way to modify the NT or 2000 drivers, or someone provided the driver third-party, etc... Please help.

Currently, the only way I can get sound out of this thing is by using a Creative Travel Sound device(Dunno what it's actually called.), it is ALOT of wires to make me worry of, and my USB plug is loose, so I need to get the main sound working if I'm to use this thing effectively again.

Thank you, and godspeed if someone can find the answer before this topic is locked due to I've already found it.  :haha:

Hehe, it's running faster than it was when I had Windows 98 SE on it, so be impressed. :D

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4CYN8Z

It's all stock besides the ram which says at 196MB.

Taking a closer look at that page I realize what a loser my Compaq main PC is to it, this laptop supports more memory by a whole estimated 64MBs, rofl.

Well it's a long shot , but I did find some supplement files for your laptop for winXP.

Also I found a web site with some generic drivers for your card and it said may or may not work with XP.......lol. It said that it was important to uninstall old drivers first if you can.

Hope something here works...good luck, let us know.. ;)

from what I have been reading on other fourms.. this is one of the drivers that doesnt seem to work at all.. I guess there was no need to develop for Xp.. since i believe this is a business class laptop.  meaning that XP pro, which still isnt excepted as a replacement for Windows 2000, drivers were not developed.  I would try and see if that driver was listed on that huge site i posted. otherwise I think you are out of luck.. which kinda sucks. 

As far as windows 2000 drivers go.. those are normally the ones that are included as the default on Windows XP.

The two files are ineffective, the xpsuppliment doesn't include any sound fixes and that PW3041 is the driver that simply said "No driver installed" When I looked at it, but hey, that's close... Maybe I'll need a thirdparty driver from sourceforge? :D

Before anyone says it, BIOS is updated.

First one I'll try, second one turns out to be a windows 95 driver, and the third one is a generic driver, the same one that just simply said no driver installed on it.  :angry3:

First one is a no go, it was just an updated version of one of the drivers seemingly, still code 10 there.

I'd like to, again... Point out that the Pro said it was a gonner, yet Microsoft (The bigger leet pro.) Says it was just a driver problem, maybe if I went back to 98 it'd work?  :)

Dunno, I'm bringing it in for PC Support Class to see if I can get this into a class project or something.  :)

Left the laptop for the PC Support teacher, for now he might be removing Service Pack 2 or trying out a unheard of Service Pack 3 fix to SP2 to get better support with drivers.

Something distictly tells me... I'm going to have to use Windows 98SE again. :(

• 4 weeks later...

uh, update...

I'm using windows 98SE again because XP can't work with the sound driver.

The problem is this, I'm missing a PnP driver that automatically sets up the sound driver in the right way, because that one driver file has four drivers in one.

Right now, I ask if anyone still has a reinstall disk for a 600X 2645-4EU, thank you. (hopeful)