A idea..........

Guest helloimtim

Guest helloimtim

Maybey a few links to some free optimizers and that free tool that opens up xp connections from 10 to 50. Just basic free tools to optimize. Maybey cablenut.......tcp/ip optimizer from speednet....that patch that opens the connections from 10 to 50. Call it the optimize xp link section. Maybey even the links to antivirus and spyware free tools. Just an Idea...........

Guest helloimtim

I guess what I was trying to say. Was when you look at the front page give the usefull links there own section. Call it "Tools to help internet speeds" Something like that. Seems like alot of times thoes that just happen across the site want or need help. They just dont want to read through a bunch of tutorals and they may feel overwhelmed by all the information. Maybey they figure the tutorals are gonna be "to geekey".Give them some clear simple links to get them started and then thoes that can help can take it from there. I would suggest like links to anti virus.......spyware.......and a one or 2 very simple tools to help "optimize there speeds. Again just my 2 cents. Just seems like to many are jumping on the tweaking before looking at the virus and or spyware issues...........

Guest helloimtim

I would put a section on the front page that you could call "Fix and tweak you internet connection"

We here at testmy net are more than happy to help you fix or tweak you internet connection. Here are some things that should be done first.  Remember there are no magic tweaks. No hidden settings that will get you above your "advertised speeds.

Here are the first steps in fixing or making your connection faster. I really hope you take the time to read it. Understand it. It is really not that hard. If there is something you do not understand ASK!!  There is no such thing as a dumb question. The information you learn will not only help you now but later as well and maybey just help and impress the heck out of your friends, And how you learned all this will be our secret....... ;)

1. First and foremost. Scan for virus and spyware. Here is a guide with links that will hook you up with some great information and free tools to get that first task done. http://www.testmy.net/forum/b-3    I realize this is allot of information but again there is just no simple fix or magic tweak to fix the connection issues.

2  So now you have done all the scans and such and your computer is spyware and virus free and your speeds still are bad.

3. Remember xp is pretty tweaked out for dsl. Don't tweak dsl if you have xp.

4. Before applying tweaks Back up your registry.

5. OK so you forgot to back up your registry and the tweaks you just did are making things worse. Here is a tool that will reset your computer back to defaults. Download it. Go to file. Click on return to xp defaults. Reboot. https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php  Its called tcp/ip optimizer.  You may even use that to try tweaking you settings. Put the slider at the top of the tool to your "Max download" hit the optimal button. Click apply then reboot.

6.So Now you have to ask yourself. Are your speeds that bad?  Are your downloads "that slow". ONLY TWEAK AS A LAST RESORT!!

7. Now if you have cable connection. You still wanna tweak it. Ask vanburen for the best settings. Tell him what company you use to connect and how your connected "Dial-up  Dsl  Cable Or satellite.  He will hook you up with the best ones. You will need cablenut program to use his settings.

8. There you go. Yes there is a ton of information. You may of thought fixing and or tweaking your connection was easy and super easy. Sorry. Its not. Takes Time, and effort and you have to have the "never give up " attitude. There is no such thing as a dumb question. Ask the good people in the forum. They have taught me TONS and I hope I have helped others. 

9.One last thing. When others refer to your "bandwidth" that is simply the information flowing from and to your computer.  Look at like this. The wire that connects your computer to the internet is like a "pipe" .. Yes just like a pipe going to your kitchen sink. Information comes in and goes out the same pipe. So if you have a virus or spyware they are "clogging" your water pipe. You wanna get that clog fixed then see how well the "Water" or Information flows. I hope that makes sense to some and in simple terms explanes bandwidth and how much spyware and or virus can affect the "flow" of information in and out of your "pipe"  Some will call it "pipe line" Yes you now know a geek term. Your connection by some geeks may be called "pipe line"

10. If your on dial-up and you wanna tweak still. Ask cholla. Cholla knows about the most when it comes to dial up connections.

We at testmy net hope you find the right information here to help you get a great start. We are always willing to help as much as we can.  If you find the information useful. Pass it along. Sign up and hang around. You could help others and learn allot in the process. Best of luck..........