Wait for Microsoft WMF patch, no thanks!

jkandra

I subscribed to ZDnet for a long time and I trust most of the articles.

It also said that when the patch comes out you can uninstall that patch and put the official patch in.

But hey....it's your computer.... :haha:

Your right it is mine.

I have a wife and a daughter that uses my computers, so I try to take care of them.

Anything is better than nothing.

There's a nice piece about what really might be the real threat going on here; ~ lol

SECURITY FIX Patch and P®ay?

By Brian Krebs on Computer Security

"But now I am left wondering what other sorts of protections Microsoft could be giving its OneCare customers against this threat that it is not also providing to the public.

Well, what does Microsoft have to say about it? From their OneCare description page: "Windows OneCare provides continuous feature updates to subscribers, providing you with the latest technologies to help protect you from emerging threats. If you're worried about a new virus or other threat, you can check for updates yourself with a single click."

Fair enough. So we're talking about antivirus and anti-spyware updates, right? Well, maybe, but not so fast. I spotted this teaser over at -- where else -- the "Microsoft Windows OneCare Blog":

"While the exploit was quickly understood, and Windows OneCare sent updates out within hours of the vulnerability being found in Windows, this kind of issue is a reminder that real-time protection is critical. Windows OneCare is much more than just antivirus software of course, but this example shows why this kind of protection is critical to our overall mission of taking care of your PC."

"Windows OneCare is much more than just antivirus software"? In what way? Security Fix would like to know. Did Microsoft silently provide OneCare users the registry hack that it recommended Windows 2000, XP and Server 2003 customers manually apply as an interim (albeit only moderately effective) fix for this larger problem -- which by the way technically is not a security flaw but a feature of Windows going back to the creation of the operating system?

. . . In the end, I find myself scratching my head and identifying with the sentiments of the last reader to comment on the Microsoft OneCare Blog, someone who simply signed their name "antioed."

"While I think it is great you are developing this software I think parts of it are long overdue in Windows and I have to admit I am a little disgruntled about aspects of how Microsoft has handled security in Windows thus far. While this software gives added security capabilities for antivirus and spyware beyond the scope of what should be included with the OS I do not see why someone who has paid for an OS license should not be able to get the same level of realtime protection for plugging up and monitoring vulnerabilities until patches can be applied. Advanced security features should be included with the OS and I was quite pleased with the security improvements in [service Pack 2]. The antivirus and spyware are not Microsoft's fault and therefore fair game for charging a fee ... are there any plans to integrate realtime vulnerability monitoring and protection capabilities in the Security Center constructs built into XP SP2? If Microsoft cannot get a patch out they should at least be able to plug and monitor the hole easily, automatically and in real-time ... free. It's not the user's fault."

I'm afraid I'm starting to think a little like Teresa Binstock when she posteded;

"Via "Windows OneCare", Microsoft will be able to continue developing, selling, and profiting from severely flawed operating systems (OSs) and will be able to create additional profits by selling "security" patches for those operating systems. This duality of purpose reeks of conflict of interest. Microsoft will have a financial incentive to build flaws into future OSs so as to boost sales of Windows OneCare"

thanks man i'll read up more on it to see what my firewall can do for me.  i'm sure it will stop most things cause it asks me about any program accessing the net and any program starting.  kaspersky antivirus is also good at finding and stopping new viruses and spybot, adaware and spyware blaster should keep me clean with other crap. i hope ;)

didnt read much on this at all but what does this exploit do?

I think I ran across this a week or so ago...I hit a website, and it immediately brought up my ms paint program, when the page opened, and the image was downloaded..My a/v picked up an exploit and removed the virus/trojan, and I've rescanned(using several a/v scans, spyware, and some online scans) and have not found anything(lets hope its gone)....

As soon as you hit a site that has the corrupt image, you will notice your ms paint(or whatever program is being used as default to edit image files) will open...At least that is what I ran into...

I installed the unofficial patch, and so far, no problems... :violent5:

the original plan was the 10th. their news release about releasing it thursday said they finished testing it ahead of schedule so they decided to release it early since so many people are whining about it. that may not have been the exact wording, though...

"the original plan . . ." ~ is, Microsoft will be able to continue developing, selling, and profiting from severely flawed operating systems (OSs) and will be able to create additional profits by selling "security" patches for those operating systems. This duality of purpose reeks of conflict of interest. Microsoft will have a financial incentive to build flaws into future OSs so as to boost sales of Windows OneCare!  :lol: