UPDATING AN OLD COMPUTER

djtavo03

i got a computer from a friend but he bought the computer costum made 2 years ago... so my question is if i install a clean Windows XP again will it recognize all the drivers. or will i have to get the drivers myself....if thats the case how will i know the dirvers that i need cause i dont have any cds for any of the hardware....

thanks

If you did not get the original recovery c.d., you could look here. Start, all programs, System Recovery, Do You Really Want To Start A System Recovery, etc.. Then it wants to know again if you really want to, again. It is built into my last August purchased one. I went ahead and purchased one from manufacturer just in case though.

That will put your computer back to it's old original condition. I have done it a dozen times. Makes it snappier also. Do not forget to download you antivirus and antispyware onto a c.d. so that when you first get onto the net you are not there without any underware.Lol

Like taking a knife to a gun fight.

thanks man, u really did help me out,,,this is great.....once again thanks for the info and i will be trying that tmorrow cause i 4am here...lol....yeah i will put some underwear on that PC before i hit the net...

thanks for ur time

If it's a custom built computer, then I seriously doubt it will have any System recovery program installed.  Those only usually come from a PC manufacturer, and are usually given instead of an XP install disk.  If you have an XP disk w/ Service Pack 2 built in, you may find that it has a lot of drivers preloaded. 

It really depends on the hardware.  The best thing to do is look at what hardware that is on it first, download all the drivers that you think you will need, burn them to a disk or USB drive, and then format and reinstall.

Also, I never use the Recovery disks, mainly because most of them preload a bunch of crap you don't need, that slows the machine down.  It's also good practice to learn how to do-it-yourself when re-installing an operating system.  Microsoft makes it pretty easy, and it will save you money by not having to pay someone else to do it if you ever need to.

Yeah the original recovery is loaded with crap. The first thing I do is download my AV and Anti spy onto a c.d., then recovery, then for the next hour I rip out extras, something like 500,000KB worth of crap. Then i reinstall what I want. Only took 4.5hrs last time total.