Explorer.exe - 100% CPU usage

gr8dane

When I boot up my P4 WIN XP Media Edition machine, all CPU time is consumed by explorer.exe to the point of bringing the system to its knees.  When I manually stop explorer.exe from the task manager and then immediately launch a new explorer.exe, the system works normally. I have read a little about corrupt .AVI files, but that apparently is not the problem.  Thanks for your help.

I would agree with Swimmer that it is most likely a spyware infection.  Try this on line scan: www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan

I had already run three other scans with nothing very severe showing up.  Based on the above, I ran the EWIDO scan, and sure enough it found two instances of a "high threat".  I allowed the program to delete the entries and rebooted to find my machine back to normal.  I am heading back to the above link to install this FREE software.  Thanks for your help. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I do not use IE (Internet Explorer) as my browser.  It is not THAT "explorer" that is causing the problem. Gotta love MS naming both programs almost the same thing.

explorer.exe is the system that lets u browse through windows, press

ctrl+alt+delete

end the process then start it up again, if that doesnt work

try a scan on ur pc or re-boot it up cus u got some serious issues there