Windows 98SE Display Errors

FaT_PHiL

i need serious help =/

i downloaded this Win98SE service pack

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Unofficial_Windows_98_SE_Service_Pack/1083536650/1

it seemed to help boost memory performance and my resources werent as taken up as usually.

But i notice im testing a little low, about 6.6 i normally get 7.5 - 8 down. So i put a cablenut setting in and restart the comp. it gives me 5 megs.. so i switch back to the other setting and im back at 7.4

But now comes the problem... in the middle of posting a thread about the above situation, my mouse randomly failed and the cursor on the desktop just sat there, BUT i was able to control the mouse but couldnt see the cursor .. quite wierd... so i restarted the comp.

When i restarted for some reason it ran in 16 bit color, 640x480.. so i went to change it to my normal 32bit 1024x768 and restarted. Then after the windows screen it just stops. and doesnt load windows. So i restart into safe mode, scan and find nothing. I restart again and now it says with an error msg there seems to be something wrong with my display adaptor. I have never had a problem with it, and ive had it for almost 4 years. its a 4x agp fx 5200. So after like 30 restarts i manage to get back into windows and i load up the default drivers that came with the card.

Then after about 20 more restarts the computer finally lets windows loads and of course it freezes again .. but 1 more restart and it accepts the drivers and thats where im at now. Im scared to restart again or change res's

I have a reformat disk, but not an OS disk.. and i really dont feel like formatting because id have to save a bunch of data.

Is there anything i can download that would put me back before the update.. short of using a full OS install disk

Ok i installed Tune up utilities 2006 and did a scan and fix, and the defragged and recreated my registry. .. and i worked up enough courage to restart.

Booted up fine and worked like a charm.

the only explanation i can think of is either the TU2006 fixed a problem in the registry that the update caused, or the Service pack screwed up my drivers and all it took was a reinstall of the originals..

So everything seems to be fine, and even though the service pack caused me an hour or so of grief.. it did speed things up a bit.

FaT_PHiL ;I know my PC is picky about the exact display adapter driver it uses.So I'm betting the Unofficial service pack changed the drive or some of its settings.When you run into something like this it's always good to do a scanreg /restore.That will get you going a lot of times.

I used one of those unofficial service packs onetime & it fixed some things but messed up more.They usually don't have an uninstall either.

You might be able to get rid of most of it by removing it from Control Panel add/remove programs.If the scanreg /restore doesn't do this.

You can also select remove for the "Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 & tools" this will give you the option to repair IE .Choose that.

Since the mouse had some problems you might reinstall its driver too.Same for the monitor.

ya i noticed during the installation, it told me a few of my files were being replaced by older ones, so i check dont replace on a few and i recall seeing my mouse driver.

There is also no complete uninstall of the pack, i read on the site but it seems to be running real smooth and i havent gotten any errors all day.

Soon ill have my other pc up and running thx to Jeffwalker .. he is THE MAN!!  :D

cholla ur the man too lol, if you guys didnt help me the other pc would be still sitting in my closet

thx guys