CHIP fan on motherboard doesnt spin

Guest PeePs

Guest PeePs

Ok, so i built a new computer this christmas and up to now i have had nothing wrong with it happen, but now whenever i shut down my computer and let it sit for a day or so then try to start it back up the fan on my motherboard for the CHIPSET doesnt start spinning. After i open the case of and manually spin it with my finger it starts working, so i was wondering if it just needs wome WD40 or something?

Guest thecableguy

Ok, so i built a new computer this christmas and up to now i have had nothing wrong with it happen, but now whenever i shut down my computer and let it sit for a day or so then try to start it back up the fan on my motherboard for the CHIPSET doesnt start spinning. After i open the case of and manually spin it with my finger it starts working, so i was wondering if it just needs wome WD40 or something?

Time to replace that fan....somewhere on the motor you have some bad windings...its not expensive and the damage that can result by not replacing it should be motivation enough regardless of the expense.

Guest PeePs

Just to clarify..... I spin the fan just like 1 or 2 revolutions with my finger while the computer is still off and then when i try to start it right after doing that it starts to spin without any assistance.

Just oil it.  All you have to do is take off the sticker on the one side, drop a little bit of oil, multi-use home oil or any kind of motor oil, and pu the stick back on.  If it still doesn't work, then you can buy a new fan.  But that might not even be necessary.  My computer is completely safe and my mobo's chipset fan died, DFI nForce3 Ultra-D, and it is not nearly hot enough to be unstable so you might be just fine.

Guest PeePs

I guess ill have to  :(. So would u guys recommend a heatsink or a fan for the chipset? I think I'd rather get a heatsink so there isn't any risk of the fan breaking again. **** i might as well throw another case fan in my computer while im at it!

Thanks for the help fellas