Having AIM Problems Please HELP

TheOneScd

I have just downloaded installed and re-installed AIM now and am still having trouble with it. When I try to sign on it says 'Starting' and it seems like my buddy list will soon appear but it never does it just says 'Starting' and when I looked at it my computer Memory Usage shoots up from 6% to 100% when I click Sign On and no matter how many non-essential processes and programs I close the Memory Usage will stay at 100% the thing is other people see me as online but I can't view my buddy list and since my mem. usage is 100 I cant really do anything else because it will be so slow. As soon as I close AIM everything goes back to normal so I am wondering what I have to do to get AIM to work and so I can see my Buddy list

Guest thecableguy

Now after changing nothing it is working again I have no Idea what is going on with it but hopefully this wont happen again

Is this the latest version of AIM by some chance...if so dump it....go back to older version...the new just plain sucks.....not to mention is a huge resource hog.  You might consider using Trillian instead....that would allow you a common program for all your messaging needs including ICQ,IRC,AIM,MSN and YAHOO all at the same time without sucking up your system resources.

Trillian uses a fair amount of resources as well... if you want something lighter and don't need all the extras (like MSN's winks and nudges) GAIM is great...  mine is currently using 13MB of memory with AIM and MSN running, about 300 contacts altogether.

I don't go for the eyecandy much... especially with something I don't look at much.

on another note, I prefer the Linux shell over GUI, and I'm working on one of my boxes via ssh right now... no eyecandy there, multicolored directory listings is the most colorful thing. :lol:

When I used Trillian it would use 35+MB of memory.. I'll fire it up a second and see what happens

ok... with just AIM and MSN enabled Trillian is using 23MB of memory... it went up to 39MB for a bit and went back down.

yes.. trillian is a memory hog compaired to other clients.. but it does offer multiple services to be connected at once..  Something that is awesome if you have mulitple screen names!

on my computer trillian only uses about 7-10mb, ive never had a problem with it using alot of memory, for me its firefox, and i only have 2 tabs open, as you can see by the scrren below.