Unpingable??

Nos7667

I have been noticing some funny outages during my use of the internet. All of a sudden I will loose connection. But when I reset my modem and restart the PC it comes up just fine.

I tried to run a Line Quality test but it says im Unpingable. Could I have any settings wrong in DRTCP??

Nos7667;I don't use DRTCP but I doubt that's the problem.Can you ping from MS-DOS Prompt.If you have it type: ping testmy.net    & see if it will ping testmy.net.If it doesn't either your ISP blocks ping or It may be blocked in your router or firewall.

Nos7667 ;I'm not sure how to fix the command prompt but if you want to ping from your OS it's the easiest way.There may be some other software that would let you ping I haven't looked for any since my ISP blocks ping.

I'm guessing you have XP & it's kind of anti dos.I have ME & all the 9x OS's use dos pretty well.Maybe some member with XP can help with this better than I can.

If cmd wont stay open, try command (start>>run>>command).  Run your ping from there.  Try a continuous ping (ping -t testmy.net) to watch for packet loss.  You can Ctrl-C to end it in order to view the stats.

Also, next time the internet drops out, it would be good to troubleshoot the modem or PC individually.  Rather than resetting both, reset just one at a time to see what actually resolved the connection. 

If you modem is actually the component dropping the connection, then you will want to call your ISP immediately.

Alright, It appeers it is the modem shutting it off. Now.. I bought this modem my self. What should I do if I have to go back to the rental one. Sell it on ebay??

I called technical support and they said it was my signal levels. But the cables are fine because my TV is crystal clear. So im going to go see if i can swap my modem for an SB5120