Wireless Question

I need to get an antenna on my roof for my wireless network. Right now I've determined it would be cheaper to just run the cable for the antenna to the roof rather than put the whole router and everything in a weather proof box. Question is how far can I run the cable for the antenna? I understand that it looses some amount of signal the further it is run, but how much? If it matters it will be rp-sma.

Probably... although you might want to check the operating specs on your router temperature-wise.  Would it be possible to just put it in the attic?  (Under the insulation)

Cat5 is good for about 300 feet.

Probably... although you might want to check the operating specs on your router temperature-wise.  Would it be possible to just put it in the attic?  (Under the insulation)

Cat5 is good for about 300 feet.

The attic is a possibility. I might just have to spend a little more and a get one of these http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/nema_enclosures.php to put everything in on.

Yea... I say under the insulation because attics have a very high temperature range (I think ours is anywhere from 150+ to below 0 depending on the outdoor conditions.)

Under the insulation would give you a much smaller temp range, around room temp.

You have a WRT54G router right?  I think the operating temps on that are 32-104

Yea... I say under the insulation because attics have a very high temperature range (I think ours is anywhere from 150+ to below 0 depending on the outdoor conditions.)

Under the insulation would give you a much smaller temp range, around room temp.

You have a WRT54G router right?  I think the operating temps on that are 32-104

The attic is a possibility. I might just have to spend a little more and a get one of these http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/nema_enclosures.php to put everything in on.

There is a minimum order quaity/price.. atleast there was when I check the last time..

As far as loss.. I have seen between 5-10dbi of signal loss per 100 ft..  I would look for a high quality cable...