HELP! I need an impartial opinion...

DeedeeT

I am the Office Manager for a small company.  We have 8-10 people on line every workday.  Our Internet has become increasingly slow, especially over the last two weeks.  The users in the office say they are not sending more emails than in the past, "we've always done this and it never slowed down like this before...", but our ISP says our traffic has been much higher lately.  We do not have committed bandwidth, we have

Welcome to the forum DeedeeT. Could you clarify if these emails are going outside you network to recipients that are not on your network (people who don't work at your small company). If this is the case then yes uploading 2meg emails to 10 people is going to put a lot of strain on a 1mb line. While these emails are being sent it is using all available upstream bandwidth and leaving none for the other people who may just be surfing, but at that time it is very sluggish. You may want to consider limiting each computers  bandwidth to a certain speed, this way when the send a large email they aren't able to saturate the whole line, just the portion of bandwidth that you allow to be their max speed.

Thanks richcornucopia.  To clarify, the emails are going outside of our network.  We send a lot of press releases, often with pictures attached.  The thing is that this is not new, we've been doing it for years, it's only recently become a problem.  I've heard that our ISP, Skyline Broadband, was purchased by US Wireless who fired much of the tech staff.  They've made an attractive offer to increase our capacity, but it involves making a two to three year commitment.  I hesitate to do that based on all of the current Internet problems we're encountering.  I will see what Sprint can offer, but I've heard they're expensive.  Can you recommend any other ISPs servicing Southwest Florida?  Thanks again!

Thanks richcornucopia.  To clarify, the emails are going outside of our network.  We send a lot of press releases, often with pictures attached.  The thing is that this is not new, we've been doing it for years, it's only recently become a problem.  I've heard that our ISP, Skyline Broadband, was purchased by US Wireless who fired much of the tech staff.  They've made an attractive offer to increase our capacity, but it involves making a two to three year commitment.  I hesitate to do that based on all of the current Internet problems we're encountering.  I will see what Sprint can offer, but I've heard they're expensive.  Can you recommend any other ISPs servicing Southwest Florida?  Thanks again!

Have you checked to see that you are getting all the speed you are paying for? Try a speedtest during off hours to make sure you are getting close to 1meg. As far as other ISPs go, I'm not in Florida but I will check for you. How much are you paying per month for the 1 meg service so I can make some comparisons?

We're paying $350/month, and this week it has been virtually useless.  It's hit or miss everytime we log on.  For about $50/month more we can get a commited 1M pipe, burtable up to 3M, but that requires a three year commitment with the current ISP, and given its performance, that scares me!

DeedeeT welcome to the forum.

Internet died again for last 15 mins or so, back up for now.  We talked about getting a T1, but we need more than that really.  Doesn't a T1 only have 1MB and you can't go above that? 

at T1 is 1.544mbps up and down that should be plenty for what your doing. we have 37 computers in my office and we use a T1 and never notice it slowing down. is your ISP giveing you 1mbps upload? Is there anyway you can do a speed test when no one else is using the internet.

a t1 gives you 1.5 up/down or 24 phone lines or any combination of the two. so dfepending on what you are paying for combined phone/internet now you might even save money.

when you send a 2 meg mail to 10 people do you send that to an external mailserver (meaning you send the 2 megs only once and the mailserver handles the sending out of the 10 messages to the recipients in the mail) or do you have a mailserver in the office (which would then have to send the 2 meg mail out 10 times)  maybe just getting an external mailserver would help with sending out mass mailings like that. (always assuming that the ten recipients for the large mail are addressed in the one mail. if the mails to the individual recipients are sent out individually it wouldn't matter.

)