help with ubuntu linux

starship_troopers

i have a spare harddrive and want to try out ubuntu linux 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake) from this site http://mirror.cs.umn.edu/ubuntu-releases/6.06/    i selected PC (Intel x86) desktop CD to download and it finished as a zipped file. my only question is when i burn the file to a cd do i burn the zipped file or do i unzip it and burn that? i knwo this is a noob question lol but i've never burned an iso before.  :-|

thanks,

starship troopers

it depends.. it looks like the download is the ISO.. in which case, i know that winrar, detects it as a "zip" file..  That would mean that you would want to burn a image off the iso.. without extracting it..

I have never tried to extract then burn the extracted files..  I figure that if the checksum is good on the iso why risk the extract..

it depends.. it looks like the download is the ISO.. in which case, i know that winrar, detects it as a "zip" file..  That would mean that you would want to burn a image off the iso.. without extracting it..

I have never tried to extract then burn the extracted files..  I figure that if the checksum is good on the iso why risk the extract..

at first i burned the unzipped file, but i re did it and burn the zipped file and booted with that...but i can't get past that...when i boot it goes into dos and when i try to boot it gives me an error. and i have to reboot. i gave up on it rather than ask a bunch of questions. but my friend is gonna give me ubuntu 5.10 and 6.06 cds that he's ordering...hes getting like 5 or so of them...i'll try then...

i'll try again now if you have any suggestions how to boot with the burned .iso i have. please :)

sorry for these questions but when it comes to an OS i've never done anything except format xp.