upload speed only 46kbps! please tell me how to fix it...

miriam

Hello, I have broadband wireless, just checked my speeds and my download speed is 212 kbps but my upload is only 46kbps. I am a computer novice so have no idea how to fix this, any simple instructions would be much appreciated... I'm getting desperate! Thanks

you may be underestimating how much of a novice I am... I tried reading that but was lost before the end of the first question - eg  What OS are you running? Examples: Windows 98, Windows XP. If you have XP make sure you have SP2 installed! Also download the p2p fix for SP2 here.

I am running Windows XP but what the hell is SP2? I don't know!!

I am running Windows XP but what the hell is SP2? I don't know!!

Welcome to the forum, miriam.

It's good that you are asking questions. We get the entire spectrum of computer experience in our members, so don't feel as though you are stuck between a rock and a hard spot. We can help you!

To check if you have SP2:

• Right-click on My Computer
  • Click on Properties
  • Here it will tell you the version of Windows and Service Pack you have installed

Even better, Press Windows Key (Between Ctrl and Alt) and Break ("pause_break"), and read what's under "Version 2002". If you already have Service Pack 2, it should say that, or it would say Service Pack 1, or say nothing.

Screen shot:

omgkd7.jpg

Heres what "WinKey+Break" looks like:

proel0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have broadband wireless, just checked my speeds and my download speed is 212 Kbps but my upload is only 46Kbps. I am a computer novice so have no idea how to fix this, any simple instructions would be much appreciated... I'm getting desperate! Thanks

If your more than 12,000 thousand feet from the central office you are going to have problems!  My mother has SBC and right outside her house is a fiber optic terminal. SBC say the fastest speeds they can offer my mom is 162k up & 650k down, because phone lines are not shield against RF interference causing signal problems! Have you ever seen a phone wire?  I have high speed cable from Cox and I get 13megs down, 1.3 megs up ALL THE TIME! Thats because RG6 standard cable is thick enough to handle not only internet but HDTV too! Those speeds are close to dial-up, not wear th your time.

IGNORE THIS POST, THIS POST WAS MEANT FOR ANOTHER POST. THIS POST WAS ROUTED TO THE WRONG POST!! SORRY ABOUT THAT!

If your more than 12,000 thousand feet from the central office you are going to have problems!

just want to let you know thats not intirely true, im about 11,500 feet from the CO and i get 700kbps over my advertised speed (6.7mbps), they all put it RT's so distance on DSL really doesnt matter anymore.