A slight problem (not)

Daiquirii

Recently my grandmother has been complaining about getting a new computer because hers is so slow and it crashes all the time. I suggested reformatting (all she uses it for is email and pictures,) and she said I could try. After about two hours I finally got off all the files she wanted to keep and reformatted. Now it runs like the closest thing to a dream an old Windows ME with like 250 MB ram can. One problem though... I can't hook up her dsl...0_o. She has SBC/Yahoo DSL, and during the installation for the software it says I have to install a chip of some sort to enable it, problem is its already hooked up. All it is missing is the drivers ( I think ), but I don't know how to get them off the CD and onto the comp, its not auto-running like its supposed to. I really want to fix this, so any advice will help (well, any advice besides throwing the comp out the window, she lives on the first floor so sort of pointless) Sorry for the lack of knowledge for the terms, its my first time messing with DSL *kicks her father for holding on to the AOL Dial-up security blanket*

Thanks Myriagon, too bad the Cd's wont co-operate with me, lol.

The SBC installer wont go past step three, it says that I need to connect my network card, but its already connected. I tried to run the software that came with the network card but it wont run like it says in the instructions. If it helps any her modem network thing has all of its lights on except internet (DSL, Ethernet, Power are on)

My luck would be that yesterday when I was using my flashdrive to transfer her files I knocked the USB cord for the network card a little loose. Her machine is so old it only has two usb ports and both on the back...

I think its an ethernet cord, but I dont know what that usb cord in the back of her comp is hooked up to. I'll probably be able to sort it out today when I go backover, its just that I was trying to do this at like 10 last night rushing. It'll probably be better with fresh eyes... 

I think its an ethernet cord, but I dont know what that usb cord in the back of her comp is hooked up to. I'll probably be able to sort it out today when I go backover, its just that I was trying to do this at like 10 last night rushing. It'll probably be better with fresh eyes... 

It sounds like the drivers need to be installed for your network card.

When you did a fresh install of windows did you install those drivers ?

If not, try browsing the CD and see if you can find the drivers because it will not automatically install them.

You may have to find out what network card (NIC) you have first, try going to

control panel/system/device manager and see if it is listed under network adapters, it may have a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

If the NIC came from SBC with the modem, I think they used a D-LINK.

If this doesn't help just come on back here and one of us will get you going  ;)

If you cannot resolve the issue thru Device Manager try

Shut down the system

unplug the computer

remove the card from the computer

plug the computer in and restart the system

check thru Device Manager to make sure that the card is not liste

shut system down

unplug the computer

re-install the card

plug the computer in and start the system

Window should find new hardware and install the drivers for it or you can open Control Panel-Install New Hardware and follow the directions. Good Luck

Daiquirii ;I was writing this when you posted you had it working .I'm going to post it anyway in case it might help in the future.

I have ME so I might be able to help.First you do need to find out if the modem is connected USB or ethernet.

Try this first though.If ME has a driver it should detect the modem.Me is known for not having adequit drivers though.

Control Panel/ add/Remove hardware/  let the wizard searc plug & play then let it search non plug & play if it still doesn't detect anything it will give you the option to do it manually.Ity will give you a list of devices like modem & network adapter select one of those then have disc if you have the disc.It will then let you browse to where the disc is located probably the CD drive. Find the driver & continue following the wizards directions.

You can also look in System properties/device manager Highlight any device there you want to check.Select properties for it & see if  it is working properly if there.If the device is there you can update it's driver from there if you have a dics with a newer or correct driver.