network drive..

TimPawlak

I am sure that there is a way to do a network boot for windows..  (different from installing windows on a network drive but I think this is more of what your question was anyways) The problem would be the time to set it up and the cost..  Not to mention that if you only have a 10/100 network the data transfer rates are going to suck.

What this the original question..  Can I boot a machine from a network?

I am going to have to look into it.. I know how to network boot solaris.. never really tried it with windows..  It is going to be really slow.. we use 2gb fiber.. and it is pretty slow..  also 7200rpm drives are not going to help ya.

10k or 15k is going to be better than 7200... but yes.. it is still going to be pretty slow

I still dont even know if it is possible.. there were some articles that said not possible from san.. but then there were a few using linux and TCP/IP that said maybe.. we will see i guess.

windows xp wasnt made to network boot.. server 2k3 was.. because has to be able to support SANs and HBA, Host Bus Adaptor.  I dont know if windows XP was ever entended to do what he wants..

winXP was never entended to do it, only windows 2000, and 2003 will do it.