how come linux wont do this...

starship_troopers

Can you provide us with the make and model of your motherboard?  Linux should be able to support this card at higher resolutions, but right now Linux does not have the drivers for your card, so it is displaying everything in default VGA mode.

It sounds like Ubuntu isnt picking up your monitor or the graphics card correctly..  I has been a little bit since I have booted with ubuntu.. but I think you can select a default monitor LCD or CRT and specify a max resolution.  That is what I had to the the last time i booted on my laptop if I remember correctly.. I am going to have to find my live disk..

Alright i booted my SuSE machine into Ubuntu..  look like if you go System-> Preferences-> Screen Resolution.. you should be able to adjust up to the maximum that the software found.. otherwise you are going to have to edit some X settings in the config file.. not a huge deal.. 

k, i've been trying to change it in system, preferences, then screen resolution. but the only options are 640x480.

otherwise you are going to have to edit some X settings in the config file.. not a huge deal.. 

hope not... lol

after i get this fixed i have another question about the video player. but that can wait....but i cannot boot back into linux untill tomorrow afternoon. so i'll post back then.

thanks for the help.  :D

ok, update from my last post....i am doing a fresh install because last time i booted up in linux was when i first installed it. the strange thing is, is that the first time i boot into it it goes straight to 1024x768 (my preferred resolution) but if i restart or whatever, then thats when it goes to 640x480.

do you think if i went down to ubuntu 5.10 or whatever the second most recent version is, (or a whole different version of linux for that matter) it would fix it?

ok, update from my last post....i am doing a fresh install because last time i booted up in linux was when i first installed it. the strange thing is, is that the first time i boot into it it goes straight to 1024x768 (my preferred resolution) but if i restart or whatever, then thats when it goes to 640x480.

do you think if i went down to ubuntu 5.10 or whatever the second most recent version is, (or a whole different version of linux for that matter) it would fix it?

doing that may work. You may want to download the live cd and see if it picks up your graphics card.

ok i was using the live cd for a while all working fine, now that i just finished a fresh install of linux it is working, but if i restart like after the updates are done download/installing or if i dont install the updates at all. then when i restart i wont be able to change my resolution. above 640x480.

heres a screenshot of it now since its working right.