stupid boot

TimPawlak

This is what happens... i turn on my computer one day... only to find that its telling me that it cannot find the disk to book off of. It wont boot of my hdd... so i put in the windows xp disk.. start to load windows setup... and i hit repair "r" and type fixboot for a new boot sector.. restart, its fine... so, i keep having to do this for my pc to work...

If you have a memory card reader please make sure there arent any cards in there because it automatically trys to boot them before the HDD its so weird. I was so baffled for at least a month wondering why i had to click booting options and boot from hd then i realized i never took my camera memory card out and it was booting from that!

i felt so dumb =/

but ya make sure there isnt something your comp is trying to boot first

If you have a memory card reader please make sure there arent any cards in there because it automatically trys to boot them before the HDD its so weird. I was so baffled for at least a month wondering why i had to click booting options and boot from hd then i realized i never took my camera memory card out and it was booting from that!

i felt so dumb =/

but ya make sure there isnt something your comp is trying to boot first

Wooohoooo I have been redeemed!!!!!!  And I thought I was the only one to fall prey to this little undocumented windows feature.  One night I found myself in the same situation only to spend 4 hours removing this, that and the other thing....and just by accident removed my xd card reader (and xd camera card) and viola....I could boot again.  I felt stuuupid enough to have never told anyone....well that is until now....

In bios, what is set to boot first? Does it change when you reboot or let it sit?

Have you tried to run a chkdsk /f while in repair console?

See if your HD is dirty...

Do you have any usb cd or hard drives?

And, how old is your motherboard?  Perhaps the battery is going...

read this & try fixmbr: Don't use fdisk /mbr it's not for most XP OS's.It is for a FAT32 system.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314503

You need to use the administrator password.

FIXBOOT

fixboot drive name:

Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system partition. In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot sector. This command overrides the default setting, which writes to the system boot partition. The fixboot command is supported only on x86-based computers.

FIXMBR

fixmbr device name

Use this command to repair the MBR of the boot partition. In the command syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that requires a new MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

Warning This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present or if a hardware problem exists. If you use this command, you may create inaccessible partitions. We recommend that you run antivirus software before you use this command.

You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do not specify a device name, the MBR of the boot device is repaired, for example:

fixmbr deviceharddisk2

If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, fixmbr command prompts you for permission before rewriting the MBR. The fixmbr command is supported only on x86-based computers.