hey guys got a wireless laptop question.

GIXXERGUY6

My buddy recently bought a gateway with built in wireless, they are running B now. The Gateway runs slow as dog poo and sporadic, but his brothers computer runs flawlessly(HP) on wireless in any point in the house.

you plug the gateway in to wired and it flies.

I checked all settings and such but to no avail.  I think they were running on wireless channel 6, then i had them switch to 11...but it didn't change anything.

They don't want to change routers yet cause they are going to be moving and they will prolly just get a N with all the bells and whistles, but for now why isn't it working? i am thinking about having him come over here and link to my wireless G and see what happens.

Drivers might do it... It could be the physical card also.. Of the 6 or so laptops in my family each on has different wifi characteristics..  Some get service in the basement and some dont..  The only thing that I could recommend would be pick up and external PCMCIA card.  For some reason they seem to get the best reception. 

On my dell 8600 I have the Intel 2200 B/G.  It works great in the house.  However, if I plug in my netgear PCMCIA card the reception gets better and so do the speed when I am in areas where reception isnt the greatest.