The Misfit Computer

Blako

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ExtremeFusion

I have had this computer for quite a long time now.  Starting life as 766MHz on windows 2000 and going through many hardware upgrades the computer worked great.  The harddrive went from 8GB to 80GB to 500GB.  While this computer was a 3.0GHz P4 on windows 2000 I started noticing random computer restarts.  The computer restarted so frequently that it was decided to swipe the computer clean and start anew on WinXP.  It was a major dissapointment when the computer continued to restart seemingly when ever I played a game.  A new power supply was added rated at 500watt.  I concluded that the computer was overheating so I added 2 case fans and ArticSliver5 droped the cpu temp by 10 degrees C to.  But the crashes contined.  I can run Internet explorer for 6 hours and no problem but I have crashed on 5 different games in ONE DAY from 6 year old 2d games like tropico to BattleField 2.  And somthing I find interesting....

Sometimes a game will work for an hour and then crash to desktop.  If I restart the same game or a different one it crashes to desktop in less then 3 seconds.  :tickedoff:

Underclock from 3.0 to 2.9GHz - comp froze

Overclock from 3.0 to 3.1 GHz -  comp froze

Tryed to use msconfig to find faulty program - still crashed when I tryed games.

It could be video problem - I tryed 5 different drivers.

I get memory Errors with two sticks of 512MB and mem errors when i swap them for two sticks of 256MB

Below are outputs from Cpu-z and system info, use notepad

lol, If you frustrate yourself form checking out which is causing your apps to crashed..

the last resort is to change mobo..

I'm guessing that all upgrades done, are hardwares that is installed in your mobo

You haven't change mobo from the beggining, right?!

My experience..

My MSI P4VXASD2+ PCB (V5.00)

was a total NUT...

It restart (the computer) whenever I tried to read/write on my flash disk

I have tired out myself from checking out which is causing my

SYSTEM RESTART...

I tested every single component installed on my mobo and didn't find any errors.

No IRQ conflicts

No DMA Conflicts

No Driver Conflicts

No Hardware conflicts

I tried MSCONFIG, DEVMGMT.MSC, MSINFO32.EXE, DXDIAG, DISKMGMT.MSC

and my queries turn dry...

Then I decided to get a ASUS GE PRO-M2 mobo,

at long last Problem Solved...

No more System Restart after that...

The motherboard has not been changed since the P4 and mobo install.  My only good news about the computer is that after I increased the northbridge voltage there have only been one computer crash in two months compared to before where it crashed 1-5 times a day. (Much better!)  I have taken the FSB from 200 to 211 before it crashes. (3.16 Ghz OC)  I have found quite a few reviews that found my mobo to be poor.

My 6800gt can only overclock from 350/1000 to 375/1100 even with 0.1 volt bios increase.  Some where beyond that and the screen goes to a rainbow checkerboard, followed by a black screen, followed by the monitor turning off saying "no signal".  I have found simar problems by other owners of this video card but at least for me, its stable at stock settings.