Chill Pad Help

destructionfever

Hey all! I have a laptop with a 19 inch screen that gets so warm that it powers off. So, I guess I'm in the market for a chill mat...anyone have any recommendations for a laptop that big? Anyone that has any advice to share it would be appreciated!

Should we look @ the problem of overheating first? Not that a cooler is the wrong way to go, but that depends on $$$ and preference, right?

The reason this happened was because I was doing scans on my system in safe mode. I made the mistake of running four programs at once with the laptop on a glass table. I normally turn a mini fan on in case it gets too hot. This time I forgot to turn the fan on and that is when it powered down. When I have many programs running like this it gets really warm. Also, when I am gaming it gets pretty warm. I'm just trying like heck to find a laptop cooler that will work right with my huge laptop.

What are the compete spec for the laptop. Does it have vents on the bottom of the laptop. Is there fans in those vents. If there is fans which way do they work. Intake [ most likely ]or Exhaust.  Where are the vent locate on the bottom of the laptop.

That does not do me much good. You need to find out if there is vent on the bottom of the laptop. If there is and they are intake vents than you need a laptop cooler that has fans blowing up toward the laptop. If they are exhaust than you need a cooler with the fans blowing down a way from the laptop. Try to get a cooler where the fans lineup as close to the vents that you can get. You can also do it the cheap way and get something to prop up the back of the laptop so more air can get under the laptop.

Than they are exhaust. So you need to find a cooler where the fan are near the back of the cooler and are blowing down away from the laptop,as long as it does that you can pick any one you like and is in your price range. I would just prop up the back of the laptop and see how that works first.

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem.  I also have a hp dv9000.  It gets hot enough to fry and egg when I have an expresscard inserted.  When I don't its just plain hot.  I've been looking for a chill pad as well.  I want one that fits my computer which is 19 inches as well.  Have you found one?  I haven't. 

The 'prop it up so the back is open to the air" suggestion would be great if I wanted to use my laptop as a desktop.  However, I want to actually set it in my lap and therefore all those fancy prop it up accessories aren't very helpful.  Until I find a fan one, I'm using the insert in the box that the laptop came in.  Its about as big as a desktop's keyboard.  I place it so it raises the laptop off my lap or off any surface by about 2 inches.  I orient it so that the exhaust vents are hanging over the edge of the box and they can have free air flow.  It makes the laptop a little precarious and sometimes it flips over.  Still my lap and the laptop are both cool.  Its annoying but its the best that I have found. 

I also found that I don't need anything when I set it on a big heat sink...like my granite countertops. 

My laptop is brand new.  However, is there is something that needs cleaning as someone suggested, perhaps they could suggest some details of exactly how to do that.

A hot water bottle as a heat sink?  Very inventive idea from resopalrabotnick.  I'm not sure that it would work in my case, as anything that blocks my exhaust in any way seems to cause the problem.  I'm thinking any heat sink needs to be flatter and harder than the water bottle...like the granite counter tops.  But I'll give that one a try.

Still I'd like to see an accessories company like Targus or Belkin design a chill pad that fits a 19 inch laptop.  Anyone out there find one that was actually desinged as a chill pad?

I have the  " LIAN LI NC-02 " .  Works well, I don't move my laptop often, and this model is not for your lap, but if you want one for the desk, I can vouch for it. I don't want anything that I don't have to slurpin juice from the machine, so I just hook the power to the powered USB hub.