video card help/opinion

prairiedogsplatr

I am looking at 2 video cards and come to end up scratching my head. I am not sure what card is better. One is 1 gig with a memory clock of 875 and one is 512 with a memory clock of 2000. I would think that the more memory the card has it would be better. When i read comments from other people not on the site i am buying from they are saying that the faster the memory clock the better. Sounds reasonable but i cant get the fact out of my head that 1 gig sounds better.

question is what one is better?

cards in question are these 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102842

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102820

Another thing is can a motherboard thats a 939 socket even read a 2000 mem clock?

Another thing is can a motherboard thats a 939 socket even read a 2000 mem clock?

Your motherboard and the memory speed on your video card are completely seperate, they don't affect eachother at all. The specifications are a bit messed up, the 1GB version has a 873 base clock, or 1746 Mhz effective, while the 512 MB version has a 1000 Mhz base clock, or 2000 effective. The effective speed is due to it having GDDR3, and is sometimes used as marketing trick. Since you have a s939 motherboard I'm guesssing you're on a single core, and don't really play the latest games at high resolution. Putting lots and lots of memory on a cheap videocard is yet another marketing trick, since it can't use so much memory properly. Unless you play something like Oblivion with custom extra huge textures, go with the 512 MB version.