I think something's wrong with my speeds, suggestions??

n00bstocks

Hey guys, my ISP is Mediacom and it's supposed to be an 8mbps cable connection, but I think something is defnitely WRONG. A few weeks ago we had to call them to come out and fix our connection because the internet was not even working and the cable light wouldn't come on the modem. Supposedly it was due to water damage and they thought they fixed it. However, when we're watching HD on our box atleast 2-3 times during a 30 minute episode the picture freezes, and the audio cuts out for a couple seconds. This shouldn't be happening right?

So I was checking my speeds tonight and something definitely is out of whack. Here's my speedtest result: download 1.75mb/s, upload .73mb/s, ping 31ms

And my testmy result was:

Download Connection is:: 1167 Kbps about 1.17 Mbps (tested with 1024 kB)

Download Speed is:: 142 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 724 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 88 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/08/06 - 11:08pm

Should I call them and have them come out and look at it again? This is upsetting!

Iv'e had the same issue n the past, the signal for the TV is different from the signal for the internet, so if there both messing up, then it's a line issue. Chances are  the problem is underground, or in a local port , even possible a signal leak in an overhead line ( cracked from wind ). You'll ne more then a standard install guy to investigate and locate the issue.

First they should drive the street of the line with there leak detector, fix that, then have an unused laptop and connect it to each port starting at the one closest to your house ( hopefully they used the handheld to check for levels at your modem connection ) . From there they can get a good idea as to the severity , and have a decent idea where, after checking call logs from neighbors , many people never even think twice about there speed, so there may be no complaints other then yours.

But really, just stay on them, tell them that there has been contact before, and you are not getting the service you are paying for. Be careful what you say about your internet speed though, because they only guarantee a certain speed to begin with, and they will shut yo down fast in conversation otherwise. Keep calling, keep telling them that you can't watch TV, and if it is  "tiling" then tell them that, that is a dead giveaway for a line quality issue, they know this already. Don't give up, and don't get frustrated, some ISP's count on that.