Download Test

ampz

How come once in a while when I do a download test the status bar just goes from start to finish with no stalls while on the other hand the majority of the time it will pause in the middle of the download for like 1 second and then pause at almost the end for 1 second. Is that packet loss? Is there something I can do about that? If the bar goes str8 through with no pause I download at 5.5 mbps which is close to the 6mbps service I have which im happy with. Also one more question. My service is 6mbps and I see some people who download at 5.5 are unhappy with that and can tweak it to make it faster. Should I be happy with 5.5 or should I want to get to the true 6 or closer like 5.8-5.9? Here are my settings for windows XP SP2 and comcast 6mpbs (with these settings im getting the fastest speed I ever have but if there is something I can do to make it better I will accept ANY imput)  Thanks.

DefaultReceiveWindow = 786432

DefaultSendWindow = 86016

DisableAddressSharing = 1

InitialLargeBufferCount = 100

InitialMediumBufferCount = 240

InitialSmallBufferCount = 320

LargeBufferSize = 81920

MaxFastTransmit = 64000

MediumBufferSize = 15040

PriorityBoost = 0

SmallBufferSize = 1280

TransmitWorker = 32

FastSendDatagramThreshold = 4096

EnableFastRouteLookup = 1

EnablePMTUDiscovery = 1

IgnorePushBitOnReceives = 0

GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize =

MaxFreeTcbs = 8000

MaxHashTableSize = 16384

MaxNormLookupMemory = 5000000

SackOpts = 1

SynAttackProtect = 1

Tcp1323Opts = 1

TcpLogLevel = 1

TcpMaxDupAcks = 3

TcpMaxHalfOpen = 100

TcpMaxHalfOpenRetried = 80

TcpRecvSegmentSize = 1460

TcpSendSegmentSize = 1460

TcpTimedWaitDelay = 30

TcpUseRFC1122UrgentPointer = 0

TcpWindowSize =

MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server = 20

MaxConnectionsPerServer = 10

DefaultTTL = 64

DisableUserTOSSetting = 0

TcpMaxDataRetransmissions = 6

DefaultTOSValue = 92

My service is 6Mbps and I see some people who download at 5.5 are unhappy with that and can tweak it to make it faster. Should I be happy with 5.5 or should I want to get to the true 6 or closer like 5.8-5.9? Here are my settings for windows XP SP2 and Comcast 6mpbs (with these settings im getting the fastest speed I ever have but if there is something I can do to make it better I will accept ANY imput)  Thanks.

i got the 6000/768. once in a while i pass 6000. my average since the upgrade has been around 5600 which i like still is fast and my upload average is around 700-710. still is fast.

why do you want to make your connection faster? speeds are very good for online play, internet browsing and downloading/uploading.

Well once in a while I download at 668k max mbps thats when im lucky and WITH a tweak. Most of the time when im doing a download test it will download fast and then stall and start stall and start and ge tpretty slow results where if i kept it untweaked i would stay at about 530k a sec almost all the time. What I wanted to know is what I could do with this tweak to just get it to stay consistantly at 668. Since I know i can get that speed there should be a way to get it all the time. May i see your setup of tweaks and ill try those? Thanks!Castles 2: Siege and Conquest

How come once in a while when I do a download test the status bar just goes from start to finish with no stalls while on the other hand the majority of the time it will pause in the middle of the download for like 1 second and then pause at almost the end for 1 second. Is that packet loss?

yes, that is packetloss

Is there something I can do about that?

Not much, you can try bypassing your router, sometimes those can cause packetloss

If the bar goes str8 through with no pause I download at 5.5 Mbps which is close to the 6Mbps service I have which im happy with. Also one more question. My service is 6Mbps and I see some people who download at 5.5 are unhappy with that and can tweak it to make it faster. Should I be happy with 5.5 or should I want to get to the true 6 or closer like 5.8-5.9? Here are my settings for windows XP SP2 and Comcast 6mpbs (with these settings im getting the fastest speed I ever have but if there is something I can do to make it better I will accept ANY imput)  Thanks.

5,5 Mbps of 6 Mbps is 91% of advertised, its not great but acceptable

remember Cable is shared so your speed probl, change during the day

i suggest you run a linequality test, make sure to use router and allow ICMP traffic

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality

By the way ....

dont assume no one wants to help, just beqause you had to wait for a reply.....

this is not a service you pay for, ppl here have other things to do beside instant replying

VanBuren :)

5,5 Mbps of 6 Mbps is 91% of advertised, its not great but acceptable

remember Cable is shared so your speed probl, change during the day

i suggest you run a linequality test, make sure to use router and allow ICMP traffic

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality

VanBuren :)

Well Im not getting 5.5 normally, i get 5.5 when tweaked and lucky on a test not to get packet loss which normally i will get.  without tweak im at a stedy 4.5 mbps with no packetloss but when i tweak i can get 5.5 but majority of the time it wont be 5.5 cause of so much loss it will be like 3.5 mpbs etc.