Should i switch my ISP? My speeds are all over the place, and cant stream videos..

v3nn3m

So i switched to Verizon FIOS (Fiber to the home) about a month ago. Since then ive been having a lot of problems streaming videos (movies on hbo go, netflix, & watching full episodes fron various networks) It constantly freezes and and has to buffer constantly.

I run speed test and my results are all over the place but the results i get should be sufficent to stream video. and im sure its not my pc, bc i have a rather high end pc (Intel Xeon 3.9Ghz Quad core, 32GB DDR3, Etc) and i also have the issue on my laptop, but the iphones and ipad streams video perfect, but im guessing this is bc there using a low end copy of the video (not hd & small size, etc) bc its a phone/tablet, but maby im wrong.

Also wen i download torrents, somtimes i get amazing speeds and somthime i get junk speeds and this is completely random (no like peak/ off peak hours) plus its fiber so no matter what time of day the speed is suposed to be prity consistant.

These are some speed test i just did and u can see in the begining there were kind of consistant and by the end there all over the place. plus the test my test shows my speeds kind of suck and i personaly consider test my to be the most accurite over anyone else not to mention most of these tests are flash, but still even if they still are reasonably accurity.

i switched to fios bc i was fed up with the cable company (cablevision / optimum) because when i had problems they were extremely unhelpful and its like they couldnt careless about there customers because they know there is no other options for Hi-speed internet as they basicaly have a monopoly, so as soon as verizon moved into the neiborhood i jumped onboard and i have tv and internet and my bill is $80/month and with cable i paid over $150/month, so i would hate to switch back but idk what to do

so my question is should i switch back to cable and get a regular cable modem, or does anyone have any ideas why my internet speed varies so much by the molment, and maby a solution?

thanks so much (im sorry i know that was a lot to read)

Screen shots of speed tests:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here it starts getting very slow:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My testmy speed test history, this really shows how unconsistant my internet is you can see how my connection goes from 5mb/s and a few minutes later to 50mbps:

image.jpg

Additionally, are there any devices between the FIOS box and your computer(s) such as another router?  For a long time, I used an appliance firewall which sat between the cable modem and the wireless router, as it had a nice filtering function which kept our kids from happening upon the "bad stuff."  The firewall had 100Mbps Ethernet physically, but after upgrading our Internet service to 50Mbps, I found that appliance couldn't reliabliy handle traffic faster than around 30Mbps.  I removed it from the mix, and things have been fine since.

Regardless, routers (including the FIOS device) are computers too, and sometimes need to be rebooted to make them happy again, especially if you're commonly using applications that open many remote connections for long periods of time (like bittorrent).