I'm Completely and Utterly Baffled

Dittoz

I have the 6000/768 Comcast service.  You can see my other thread on the issue here.  http://www.testmy.net/topic-3779

Well after Comcast couldn't figure out what the problem was, I kept playing with it.  I formatted my computer and started from scratch.  Installed the new updated drivers and I'm still having the same problem.  Can't get speeds above 4.5 and they are very erratic.  So I brought my laptop home from work.  Plug it up and guess what?  Consistently speeds of 6.2 down.  So what in the world is wrong with my desktop?  It obviously isn't a conflict, or an outdated driver, I formatted the thing!  I'm about to chuck it out the window.  :angry5:

Well to further narrow things down, I installed the USB drivers for my modem.  A motorola 5100 by the way.  Now I"m getting speeds consistently around 5.7...A huge improvement over the ethernet connection.  So I thought well maybe it was my NIC.  And then I remembered it is built in to my Gigabyte 8IK1100 motherborad.  So I took an old NIC out of an old computer and installed it.  Same problem.  Speeds only around 4.5 or so.  Any idea what's causing this?

Guest helloimtim

Check your ram. Sounds strange i know. But my computer did kinda the same thing. Was ok at first then got slower and slower. And your sure your ehternet card in your compuer is ok fine. Thats my guess.

I have changed the cable before, and then using the same cable with my laptop is when I get the great speeds.  Then when I hook it into the desktop speeds drop off dramatically.  How much bandwidth do I lose using the USB cable instead of the cat5?

Check your ram. Sounds strange i know. But my computer did kinda the same thing. Was ok at first then got slower and slower. And your sure your ehternet card in your compuer is ok fine. Thats my guess.

I'm at work now, but I'll check the RAM when I get home.  My BIOS checks the RAM on bootup and it doesn't detect any errors and Windows is still showing the full 1024mb.  I have 2 DDR 512 sticks, so I'll try to use them 1 at a time and see if that does anything.  Maybe if only one is bad that will fix the problem.  I know I'll only get single rate transfer but atleast it's a way to troubleshoot.  And I'm pretty sure it's not my ethernet card as I've tried my onboard LAN and a PCI NIC.  I'm bringing an old 3Com 10/100 NIC home today from work and I'll give it a shot. 

I have changed the cable before, and then using the same cable with my laptop is when I get the great speeds. Then when I hook it into the desktop speeds drop off dramatically. How much bandwidth do I lose using the USB cable instead of the cat5?

You should deffinatly hook the modem up via ethernet. Because USB at times cuts speeds in half. And the biger your cap, the more loss you'll notice.

Ok I checked my RAM...that wasn't the problem.  I switched out my NIC yet again.  So this is the third one I've tried. Same problem.  I max out at 4.5 and occasionally can hit 5.0.  I've tried 2 different Cat 5 cables and both do the same thing.  Both Cat 5 cables when in my laptop get 6 on the nose everytime.  When I hook my desktop up by USB I get around 5.7 consistently.  Excuse my French but what in THE hell could possibly cause this???  And I did what you said with the MTU VanBuren and there is no change. 

Guest helloimtim

Well if your laptop is great on it. You tried to change your ethernet cards, its not the eithernet wire as well and your ram is fine. I would try this. Check to make sure everything is ok fine in your hardware settings in xp. Right click my computer icon,properties.hardware,device manager. Im not the smartest guy in the world so forgive me for this. Dosent the either net card go right into the moter board? I hope you checke your computer makers web site for updated drivers. Maybey a mother board problem. YOu will have to talk to someone allot smarter than me on that issue. My guess would be mother board would be the next logical step after checking your hardware settings in xp and driver updates.

Thanks for the reply, and yup I think I've narrowed it down to a problem with my motherboard.  I've checked the Device Manager and there aren't any conflicts that I can see in there...And I have the most updated drivers for my motherboard  :?