Help with XP unexplained crashing

aradon

Hi y'all,

i have a teeny problem with my machine, sometimes when i starup it will crash before getting to desktop, and sometimes it will crash at desktop, normally i need to reset about 15 times to get to desktop.  But once i am at desktop, if i do anything within windows, say, surf the net or use note pad, go on msn, play solitaire, it will crash, but it actually doesnt crash properly, the mouse just incurs a 4 - 5 sec delay when i move it, also after an hour or two i will be able to do stuff again only for it "crash" again, funny thing is tho, i can run games and full-screen programs all day long without a problem.

Im tearing my hair out, can anybody help?

Thanx

Sorry i forgot to mention that i use Norton, Adaware SE and Spybot S&D, i have also run numerous different on-line adware/spyware and virus scans all of which have found nothing that could be causing this nuisance.

If i can manage to run HiJackThis is there anyone here that can analyse it for me?

Thnx cak46.

No, i tried that too, it just halts at the procedure screen (where it lists all the things it is closing) i also tried using my restore disk but that wont work because the only thing left from my original system is the hard-drive and i cant install a copy of windows that i have onto it because the copy on my drive is more up to date (damn you SP2  :evil:)

Sounds like a trojan or really mean spyware. I think something is creating a process at startup or is embedded into a common process in memory (if not starting it's own process). Scan all running processes that u see in task manager (if u see something u don't recognize there that might be the thing that infected u).

Use START--> Search-->Search-->For Files or Folders...--> "any name of process in task manager"

Scan them all online here: http://virusscan.jotti.org/

or

http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

(Best to try both...)

If that finds nothing and u still are stumped try Microsoft AntiSpyware v1.0Beta or a better Anti-Virus manufacturer such as Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro v4.9.095 (really v4.9.094 but after updates number changes) or ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus (do all updates for whatever alternate AV engine you choose... for Kaspersky use upadates_x [see site for details if u don't know about special bases]).

When/if u find something in a scan backup in quarentine if possible DON'T DELETE WINDOWS system processes or anything critical to operations and before u go to fix/clean a vx or malware turn off system restore (if on) then clean/fix in SAFE MODE then reboot then rescan and if your clean turn back on System Restore maybe reboot again if u want...and then ur in the clear for now ;):D

Also if u installed some software recently just before this problem ocurred might wanna  try uninstalling it (if u found no infect or spyware problems.)  Here is my sight if u need to try some other anti-spyware or Anti-Virus just scroll through and find what u might need or try manufacturers sites if u wish.

url snipped by swimmer

Hope this helps and yes a HijackThis log cut and paste here might help too, but do scans with other tools or online av's if u can it's highly recommended IMHO :idea:.

Peace and good luck,,

Azag

My site:http://vxchaos.no-ip.org

Almost forgot if u try installing another Anti-Virus solution with active monitoring then you will need to uninstall Norton AV  :angry5::whaa: 1st as it has issue with other AV's especially with active monitoring turned on be warned this is an issue they point out whenever u try to install thenm with another AV already there (to opposite is also true) they by design or on purpose will f*ck up ppls systems stablitiy as well as worse results as I have been witness to see Symantec Norton's release notes about issues or their web site.  This is very much an ongoing problem and a particular reason (though I can name many others lol), that I loathe Norton AV (also they need more virus defintions). The bottom line is they don't play nice with others and they don't care  what u or I think  :roll:  :haha::whaa: but that's another story. :lol:

Azag

Okay well thnx a ton for everybody's input really appreciate it but i cant do anything within windows now, if i run a program that isnt full screen it simply crashes, i am sure that XP is corrupt and so will buy a new hard drive, put another copy of XP on it, run the new drive as a master and the old drive as slave, that will do me :D

Thanx again

Hi all, just thought id let you know that i have gotten to the bottom of it, after buying a new harddrive, with a new copy of XP, i found it to be crashing still, so i went through a process of elimination, the cpu, ram, board, when i finally found the graphics card to be the cause.  Not so long ago my power pack went and it would appear that a surge of some kind has knackered the card, so this has now been rectified and a surge protector has been bought :D

So there we have it :D